feature fish help

Clairet

We have a small 50ltr tank that we started just over a month ago. All the levels have settled down and we have had 3 tetra (serpae, Black Phantom & a black widow) in it for a good 3 weeks. We want to add 1 or more feature fish but unsure what to add with the size of the tank and what can go with the tetra's. There is so much conflicting information. Any suggestions would be appreciated

I think he is implying that you could have more than 3.

Tetras prefer to be in groups of their own type. If it was my tank I would work out what of the three you prefer and increase that group by another 6-10 and remove the other two type, maybe to another tank where you could repeat the process.

I think he is implying that you could have more than 3.

Tetras prefer to be in groups of their own type. If it was my tank I would work out what of the three you prefer and increase that group by another 6-10 and remove the other two type, maybe to another tank where you could repeat the process.

that's what I thought originally but I was told on 2 different occasions that they would be fine on their own (or in the group of 3 of them) They seem quite happy in there, they are feeding well and look like they get on ok. What would indicate they were unhappy?

Its a Blue planet tank and we are using the filter it came with. What is wrong with 3 tetra's in it? Pet shop said it wouldn't be an issue?

Yes I was implying that you can have more than 3 (and I didn't say that there was anything wrong with having the 3)

In my opinion you could easily have 10-12 smaller fish in a 15L tank with adequate filtration which I assume the blue planet tank has.

You could also add 3-5 more tetras and a bristlenose catfish to help keep any algae at bay.

I agree that smaller schooling fish prefer to be in a group of their own species but if you prefer different ones then that is no problem but you will probably not see them schooling together very often.

Thanks, we are going to add more fish be we have been told to add them slowly. We are thinking of something to keep the algae at bay but don't want anything that will grow too big as the tank is only small. Someone suggested an Oto catfish as it is a bit smaller?? Would dwarf Gourami go ok in this size tank? Is 1 ok by itself or do they need to be in pairs? Any other suggestions?

i think dwarf gourami would be great.. get a couple. I love how they touch each other with their "Feelers" (ventrals).

Ottos are cool too, mine ate up all the glass algae no probs but they don't have a very long life and need company.. 3 would be a minimum. They don't grow very big which is a plus and are fun to watch zipping up and down the glass and following each other around.

If you get ottos , make them the last fish you add when you are sure the water conditions are nice and stable.