Freshwater Shrimp in Auckland?

madfrog2000

i find so many i'd like to be able to sell them but i don't think that is legal without a licence. it is totally legal to collect them though, just make sure there are no "no fishing" signs!

i know a few good spots on the north shore i'd be happy to share with you if you can get out this way.

otherwise, try your local streams, water culverts etc. find the big pools where water sits idle, and where there is partially submerged vegetation around the edges. shrimp like to hide in calm shady sheltered areas. use a fine mesh net (2$ at the warehouse) and scrape around the edges of the vegetation. or, as shrimp are ruthless scavangers, using a baitcatcher or similar funnel type device works well, use shrimp from the supermarket for bait.

good luck. remember you will need to keep your tank quite cold if you want them to survive. i haven't been able to keep them alive more than a couple of months.

anyway. have fun 8)

Hey Thanks guys I went out hunting for some tonight (in the rain) found few behind the zoo in Auckland. I only got 4 Shrimp but my girlfriends Betta decided they were food... :an!gry

Going to get more to try in my other 3 tanks (different types of fish in each 1).

Is 25degrees safe for shrimp?

Also I saw alot of Oxygen weed in the streams would that be safe for fish tanks?

And I think there may have been some java moss in the stream would that be safe too?

you may or may not keep them alive in 25%. only one way to find out.

there is a banned noxious weed that looks a bit like oxygen weed (Lagarosiphon major). check the plants before you go collecting any plants from local streams as many are illegal to collect or posess.

here is fnzas list of noxious/illegal plants

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/?cat=92

and here is fnzas plant database to help you identify plants you find

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/?page_id=2379

Hey Thanks those links they will come in handy! I think I will just buy the oxygen weed from a pet store and try grow it in a water barrel in the backyard. Also are Gambusia (Mosquito Fish) legal or illegal to own? lakes down the road have thousands wouldn't mind having some as a pet if I am allowed to.

great that you found some shrimp

+1 what everyone else has said about plants and gambusia but I would like to add the collection native moss is most probably illegal as most have some protection and only one is very common. if it was java moss the go ahead.

Note that is is illegal to collect gron reserves/parks

I swear I saw a local fish store selling those mosquito fish like a month ago. might be wrong tho but they looked like them.

Probably just guppies. Though, it used to be pretty common for people to sell on trademe, "Guppies, collected from the stream behind my house." Gambusia, of course.

I suppose you could have also seen leopardfish. Though, they're uncommon.

I only got 4 Shrimp but my girlfriends Betta decided they were food... :an!gry

Is 25degrees safe for shrimp?

I have shrimp in with my Betta, and he ignores them for the most part. If you got medium sized ones I would think he would struggle to fit them in his mouth? My betta is pretty chill though

That tank is at 24-5 degrees. Have had the shrimp in it for about 6 months, no problems so far. One important factor is to have lots of surface agitation as I think they are quite sensitive to low oxygen - higher water temp = less oxygen

:o my temps are at like 25degrees at the moment but on a hot day my room might reach over 30degrees. Do you guys have fans for your tanks?
No, I have a 1/2 HP chiller in my native setup, and I could probably keep the temp down at below 10 deg over summer. Well I know I could as the controller locked on one day and I came home from work to find a very cold tank of fish, the temp was sitting at 4.5 deg :fshi: :ske: