Some help getting started

Totara

Hi guys,

I am looking at getting started into the hobby and want to find out a few things first, firstly can anybody recommend me on whether a $250 budget is reasonable? I would like to keep it under that, I would prefer to have a tropical tank as that means I have a wider variety of fish. If that budget is reasonable could anybody recommend me a setup? I am not sure whether to get a pre-built setup with inbuilt filter lights etc. or whether to go the way of buying a tank, filter, heater etc. separately. Also, is there a list somewhere that details all the things I will need to start and manage a aquarium? Sorry for being so clueless,

Thanks,

Totara

Hi, to give you an idea, My first 90L tank (Aqua One AR620) cost me $250 retail. It had a filter and lights built in.

I sold it after 2 months and bought a larger tank. 245L tank only cost about $150 from trademe and included a canister filter.

I have since done a 300L (which is now for sale) and am now maintaining a 500L.

And this was after my wife said "ONE TANK."

Hi, if you are new to this, and just want a colourful community tank without anything exotic in it, and want it set up in the house somewhere that it needs to look 'pretty', I personally would think your best option is to try to get an all-in-one system (like one of the Aqua one or Blue Planet systems) of about 90l to start off with. Haunt TradeMe, the 'for sale' board on this forum, and similar sites, they do go for reasonable prices and sellers often throw in some extra stuff like heaters or ornaments. Give it a good clean and you are ready to go.

That leaves you more cash for fish, plants, and all the other bits and pieces you will suddenly find you 'need' :lol: .

One thing I would highly recommend is to set up a quarantine tank as well, maybe out in a garage or similar, as you will have to add your fish gradually over time. Nothing worse than inadvertently adding a couple of sick fish to the tank and seeing everything else die too. You do not need a glass tank for this. The cheapest option for a quarantine tank I have found is a translucent plastic 'hobby box' which is stocked by Bunnings (and maybe other places) for under $10, which holds just on 20l. Get a mini set-temperature heater for it (about $25), and a c. $10 foam filter or corner box filter run with an air pump. A bit of perspex or thick plastic or large lid off a plastic storage box works as a lid. No gravel or plants etc needed, though a couple of cheap plastic plants can give fish somewhere to hide. Quarantine all your new fish (after the first 2 or 3 that go in the main tank), in there for at least a fortnight, preferably longer. Add some salt if they are species that can live with that (it can kill some diseases and reduce stress if done correctly).

Hope that helps. Good luck with your tank.

Hi guys,

http://www.pet.co.nz/product/fish/korall-tropical-fish-tank/5661

Is that a good starting option? It looks like a good simple tank that has some good aqua-scaping opportunities :) If this tank is a good choice, could anyone please come up with an example stocking plan? As in what will be the final tank, not the hardy fish to cycle it. There is so many fish and so many warnings about not trusting the pet store to give you good advice I just don't know what to get :P I just would like a few nice pretty fish really, maybe a few snails to help keep the tank clean? A couple of schools would be nice too, maybe Neon Tetras?

Thanks,

Totara

There is nothing wrong with that tank but that price is on the high side for what you are likely to be able to negotiate in your local shop. For stocking it depends on what sort of tank you want (ie fish and plants - fish to be the main focus or plants to be the main focus and to certain extent the look of the tank depends on the type of the tank you need to buy ie some plants require high light which means you need to pay more for a tank with high lighting ability.

If you read through the posts on here and look at the pics then do a sketch up of what you want your tank to look like you will be happier than taking other peoples suggestions. On the fnzas website (go to the home at the top left of this screen) you will find information about plants and their requirements. Joining your local club will give you way more ideas as well and you can get to see other peoples tanks.

For final stocking you can get about 15 x 2.5cm (final sized) fish safely in a tank the size of the Korall you linked to. Research on google the requirements of each fish as far as pH, compatibility and full size.

Hi there,

I have found an alternate supplier for the Juwel Korall 60 Tropical Starter set, who is selling it at $160. Am I getting a good price there? Or should I head down to my LFS and try to negotiate it there. On that note, can anyone in Nelson reccomend which store to go to? I only know of three, PetMart in Richmond, PetMart down by the refuse center and PetFever in town. Am I missing one? Which is the best one to goto,

Edit:

I have found one on trademe for $130 brand new, including shipping. Is it worth getting?

Thanks,

Totara