DIY pleco food

Ira

If the fish eat it, I won't eat it :sick:

How do you stop it from going icky? A whole small courgette lasts me like 2-3 weeks but the courgette only lasts half a week before going mushy and gross D:

I'm going to boil it and then throw it in the freezer so I can pull out 1-2 slices at a time and throw them in the tank.

I'm going to boil it and then throw it in the freezer so I can pull out 1-2 slices at a time and throw them in the tank.

So it doesn't go mushy when boiled and then frozen? Mine would go mushy when frozen but I haven't tried boiling it yet.

:slfg: I just noticed the "SOON" dog in the background - what a cutie!

So it doesn't go mushy when boiled and then frozen? Mine would go mushy when frozen but I haven't tried boiling it yet.

:slfg: I just noticed the "SOON" dog in the background - what a cutie!

It goes a little mushy, but most importantly after boiling it sinks so I don't have to worry about weighing it down, just toss it in and it's all gone the next morning.

Ok I have to ask - you just feed slices? A whole courgette, parboiled and sliced in half lasts one day in my tank. What are you feeding that you get away with slices? Also I got two screwcumbers from the UK, sinking is now no longer an issue and they were only $30 for two delivered to the door.

Marrow? Yuck!

The fish seem to like it.

Ok I have to ask - you just feed slices? A whole courgette, parboiled and sliced in half lasts one day in my tank. What are you feeding that you get away with slices? Also I got two screwcumbers from the UK, sinking is now no longer an issue and they were only $30 for two delivered to the door.

Yeah, when using small ones I usually cut about half into quarters or slices and boil it. Lasts a few hours along with a handful of plecochips. More pieces means noone hogs the entire thing. I figure one or two slices of this big one is probably about the same amount as a half of a normal sized courgette. And I have a 12"ish redspot, an 8-9" inch goldspot and about 10-20 bristlenoses.

Just looked up the screwcumber. Looks like it would make it a bit tough for anything but small fish to eat between the coil, and I'd have to dig it out of the tank all the time. Maybe if there was a string on it dangling out of the tank.

Yeah, when using small ones I usually cut about half into quarters or slices and boil it. Lasts a few hours along with a handful of plecochips. More pieces means noone hogs the entire thing. I figure one or two slices of this big one is probably about the same amount as a half of a normal sized courgette. And I have a 12"ish redspot, an 8-9" inch goldspot and about 10-20 bristlenoses.

Good point

Just looked up the screwcumber. Looks like it would make it a bit tough for anything but small fish to eat between the coil, and I'd have to dig it out of the tank all the time. Maybe if there was a string on it dangling out of the tank.

• 2 weeks later...

I found another even bigger marrow, courgette(Or whatever) and dehydrated it instead of freezing. Then boil to rehydrate and threw it in the tank.

I think the fish approve.

eating1.JPG

eating2.JPG

eating3.JPG

Also...the front of my tank isn't nearly as dirty as it looks.

• 3 weeks later...