Algae on rotala

Caryl

Hopefully I can post my pic here. This algae has recently grown on my rotala (yes, the ones I was taking to the auction). I am sure it is lighting problems as it started after I put new tubes in. Does anyone know a quick way to get rid of it?

image.aspx?Image=HcZNnT9kkUhGSfIm2tPZWlL34kUmj62OK92Vn9E16ju93zQcofctyy!*9j*!oUMb6v2IMw91VG1rJx0Njx4ycm2XIE91UuXe2lYKafcWyuniff*yl6hfg!c!cfhZm1pJu96Y8x4ijwI$

Thank you Cees. My previous problem was that the Yahoo Photos! site I use does not allow you to link to other sites but I could not find that information on their site. I now have an MSN photo album where I put anything I want to post.

Cees said...

> If it is blue-green than erythromycin will fix it.

True.

> ... blue-green algae is actually cyanobacteria and indicates

> poor water quality...

Also true. I've got it mostly in tanks that were filled up with

Upper Hutt water that I got from John Philips when he brought

his fish up here. Actually, it's water from his tanks and I guess

maybe he hadn't been paying as much attention to them as

he used to. I guess I've been too slow in diluting it out with

water changes but I'm getting on top of that now...

Andrew.

It probably is blue-green algae but it is only a problem under the 2 new tubes, not the whole tank. I can remove the plants to treat them as they are just bunched and weighted ready to take north.

Where do I get erythromicin from? Does it have a brand name of some sort I should look for?

Thanks for the advice.

Poor water quality wouldn't surprise me either, you know I rarely do water changes and with my back problems recently......

Where do I get erythromicin from? Does it have a brand name of some sort I should look for?

Your Doctor, it's an 'classic' antibiotic.

Your best bet is the local vet. That's where I got mine. Just tell them what's for and the dose you require. Search google for blue-green algae and erythromicyn for dosage insrtuctions. Repeat after one week. Best to treat whole tank, but be aware that it might knock back the bio-filtration.

Blue-green algae is indicative of poor water quality, the new tubes alone won't be the cause as suchs.

I have Kelly Rennell staying with me at the moment and he has given me instructions on how to use the stuff. I am working tomorrow (medical receptionist) and he suggested I ask the Dr if he has some erythromicin as it would be cheaper than the vet.

I've found the most effective way to get rid of duckweed is to be really slack on the water changes and let your nitrates get up to about 90 ppm. They just kinda shrink until they disappear. Of course, there are disadvantages to this and it does take quite a while.;)

Got yelled at for saying that on another messageboard.

• 1 month later...

I'm glad you moved the plants before using Erythromycin as it would have killed your filter. It doesn't just knock-back your filter unfortunately. The dosage required to kill Cyno will also completely wipe out your bio filter. Use Erythro as an absolute last resort.

There are usually other reasons for Cyno. In this case, the extra UV content from the new lights has shown a problem up, but they are not the cause of it. The Nitrate level is either too high or too low, and there is probably a small excess of phosphates as well. Cyno thrives with 0 nitrate, or >30ppm. Anywhere in between and it seems to pretty much vanish overnight (as long as phosphates are >0.05ppm. It will probably burn itself out in a few weeks if just left alone.

Oops, the > should have been <, so less than 0.05ppm phosphates.

The reason Cyno grows well with 0 or near 0 Nitrates is because it can lock onto the disolved nitrogen in the water as its source. Many newly setup aquariums get cyno within a few days of startup. This is due to too many nutrients in the water and no Nitrates.