help clearing water in tank

melrick1

Hi there guys.

I have a four foot tank, external filter, planted with silica sand. Only has about 20 tetras in it but is continuously going merky... I have never had issues in the past with this and with cobtroled feeds and no sun exposure. Any tips from anyone?

Its more a white merky at the moment, but a few weeks back i had to do a 70% water change as it was a thick green soup. There is high water flow with internal filters and i have been doing regular water changes. Iv had this tank for years and not done anything different which is strange. Do i have to spend up large and get a uv pump?...

White cloudy water is often known as 'new tank syndrome' and will eventually clear away, however eventually can range from days - weeks - months as your tank balances itself again.

It can be exacerbated by rotting leaves and left over food.

Vacuuming and small regular water changes can help it but if you can not bear to wait you can purchase a flocculent from your LFS, which binds the small algae particles which the filter/vacuum can not pick up, into larger masses which are more easily removed. This is sold as water conditioner.

Thanks for the advice guys, I was doing small regular water changes which were making no difference. Yesterday I did a 50% water change and added some algae killer chamical to the mix - seems to be clearer and fish are still happy. Will do another small water change after work today and just keep ontop of it.

OH NO! I have 2x dead silver sharks and 3x deal blood fin tetras :-(

I am so upset with myself, I dont know what I am doing wrong. All the tests are comming back OK. I hope the tap water doesnt have too much chemicals in it, thats all I can think it is...

50% WC's are fine, just ensure the temps close enough (+/- 2 degrees)

I regularly do 50% changes with no issues, quite often up to 75% if im doing anything in the tank.

Fish love fresh water, its like escaping outside from a stuffy room for us.

get a full water analysis done at your LFS, and monitor your basics (NH3, NO3) for any changes at home if you can until it settles down.