Help picking an airpump

Jennifer

I am looking at a large airpump to replace a couple of Eheim pumps that run several breeding tanks. There are about 14 tanks and around 1000 L. These are the two options that I am looking at:

http://www.pondone.co.uk/airpumps.php (around $300)

http://www.hailea.com/e-hailea/product3/ACO-328.htm (around $200)

It is indoors so I don't want it too loud.

A little out of my depth here - any advice/suggestions/alternatives?

I have heard good things about the pond one pumps in fishrooms a friend uses one in his.

I currently use a compressor one like the hailea and they are noisy, they also get quite hot and diaphragms wear out, so have spare ones on hand. You can buy sheets of the diaphragm rubber and cut your own. eventually the vibrations get to the electronic components inside and the legs break off the diodes or transformer windings go. They do go for a quite a while though but I would recommend having 2 if you are relying on them, they always go at night when you can't get to the shop to replace them. When I last looked you could get them quite cheaply off trademe as well.

I am not sure if the pond one is a compressor type pump.

Good luck!

You could build something outside and put your air pump outside and plumb it in, mine is just plumbed using 13mm irrigation tubing and droppers going out to gang valves.

From memory the pond one is quiet - I researched getting one to do my room with, but I ended up with a compressor because they were easy to source and cheap.