September 11, 201313 yr comment_538819 I have been thinking about adding rainbowfish to my 240l (4ft) planted community. It currently contains about 20 Harlequin Rasbora and a large assortment of loaches (kuhli, yoyo, angelicus, striata). It is filtered with 2x Sunsun HW-303B UV filters (1400lph each). I do a 50% wc a week. pH is about 6.8, which I know is a little low for rainbows. Even though there are quite a few loaches there is very little movement in the upper regions of the tank, and when they are all hiding (most of the time, except when there is food!) the tank looks pretty much empty. I have considered just adding another 20 Harlequins or a big shoal of White Clouds but I think something big would be nice. Would 6 Boesemani Rainbows (all male) be okay in my tank? I know they are pretty active and can get pretty large, and also my pH is a little off for them. Is my tank enough room for them to romp, and enough room for a decent school? Also I'm sure my loaches will be fine but will they freak out my harleys? Just wanting a second opinion, as I have been umming-and-ahhing over this for weeks! Report
September 12, 201313 yr comment_538825 You would be fine adding 6 to that size tank. They shouldn't bother the Harlequins but every fish has a different personality so no guarantees Report
September 12, 201313 yr Author comment_538830 What if I was to add 2 sets of 6, like 6 Boes and 6 Reds? Would that be pushing it? Report
September 12, 201313 yr comment_538840 I have 3 of each the boes, yellows, blues and featherfins in a 200L at the moment and they are fine. Loving swimming with my bolivian rams and dwarf honey gourami. Also my Zebra Spiney eel hasnt taken to any of them. But he is only there temporarily Hope that helps Report
September 12, 201313 yr comment_538843 I personal think that just one bigger group would look nicer in that tank other than 2 smaller groups. As far as the other specifics I coudn't help you sorry. Report
September 12, 201313 yr comment_538848 my pH is 6. they are fast swimming fish who get big so if you want a big group you will need to make sure you leave a big space free for them. I have about 20 of them in my 450litre. Report
September 12, 201313 yr Author comment_538853 Thanks guys, I had read that Rainbows don't do well in pH under 7 so I was concerned. Have ordered male 6 Boes in for $15 each. Pretty good price, I'm pleased. Will decide once they're in whether more boes or another species is required. :dnc1: Report
September 12, 201313 yr comment_538854 Are you doing an all males tank? I don't know how correct this is but I read that to get the best colours out of male rainbows there needs to be a female in the mix. Report
September 12, 201313 yr Author comment_538859 I've seen pictures of all-males tanks before and they looked pretty spectacular -- but time will tell!! :dunno: Report
September 12, 201313 yr comment_538860 One of the most stunning rainbow you can get - imo - is the Parkinsonii or Parkinsons. New to the country early this year - don't look much in shops but when they colour up they are fluorescent orange. Only males in this country to my knowledge. Report
September 12, 201313 yr comment_538869 One of the most stunning rainbow you can get - imo - is the Parkinsonii or Parkinsons. New to the country early this year - don't look much in shops but when they colour up they are fluorescent orange. Only males in this country to my knowledge. Totally agree with you there. Awesome fish. Report
September 13, 201313 yr Author comment_538973 Well I went into Animates today as they have a 3-day 30% of all fish sale. Had 3 lovely Irian Reds and 3 beautiful Checkered Rainbows for only $14 each. I am torn!! Report
September 13, 201313 yr comment_538975 What are checkered rainbows? Heres a really good link that I use I googled, it would be interesting to see what they turned out like. My axelrodi (3) are three different rainbow types, yet to be decided what any of them are Report
September 13, 201313 yr Author comment_538978 Uhh where's the link? :sml2: Checkered Rainbows seem to be either Melanotaenia splendida splendida orrrr Melanotaenia splendida inornata. There seems to be some confusion about the correct taxonomy. Gorgeous anyway, they looked like this, but a tad duller. Seeing all these stunning species is making me want a full-on Rainbow tank like yours Adrienne. !drool: Also those Axelrod's Rainbows are stunning! They are on the order form atm, maybe I should get some... http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/me ... taxelrodi/ Report
September 13, 201313 yr comment_538994 oops http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/rainbowfish/ I have two which I assumed to be female, species unknown that look like the chequered pictured here but if the ones you have seen have the coloured fins and tail as in your image I would be keen as well. As I said none of my 'herbertaxelrodi' look like they should atm but they are still smallish and colouring up. Report
September 14, 201313 yr Author comment_539036 Well, today I came home with 3 Irian Red Rainbows -- at $14 each I couldn't resist. Got them home and my Yoyo Loaches are chasing them pretty bad. :facepalm: Might be time for the Yoyos to find a new home... :tears: I'm wondering how many Rainbows will "fit" in my tank. Torn between the Boesemani, Turquoise, Axelrodis and Checkered. How many of each species do you have Adrienne? Report
September 14, 201313 yr comment_539050 My tank is 450 - so 1500L x 500D x 600H (gives you some idea of the surface area). I have 8 parkinsons, 3 red, 2 lake kutubu (blues), 4 boesmani, 2 possibly splendida females, 3 herbertaxelrodi, 4 either australis or nigrans (they don't seem to fit either picture). The parkinsons and nigrans/australis are around 7 - 8cm, the rest slightly smaller except the herbertaxelrodi who are new and about 4cm. I also have in there 5 dwarf chain loaches who are forever nipping scales off the rainbows if they get down low in the tank, 1 black red tail shark and 1 SAE (both full size), 12 pristella tetra and 6 different types of bristle nose. I would like to get some more blues as my tank is too red/orange Report
September 15, 201313 yr Author comment_539082 Thanks Adrienne -- it's the same size as my 450l cichlid tank then, is it a Juwel by any chance? Ahhh yes, Dwarf Chain Loaches are little DEVILS! I had 8 and they absolutely wrought havoc on everyone else in the tank so I eventually sold them, nasty little things. I now have 6 Striata Loaches and 6 Angelicus Loaches, both of which seem pretty docile. And 7 Yoyos which I am going to rehome -- sick of them terrorizing my tanks. I also have 20 Harlequin Rasbora, and of course my new 3 Red Rainbows. Torn as I don't want to cram too many species of Rainbow in as it's not a huge tank (240l), but they are all so beautiful! Thinking I'll either add another 3 Irian Reds and 6 Boesemanis and have 6 of each, or add 3 Checkered and 3 Boes and have 3 of each. Tough. Plus I have to make up my mind TODAY as this is when the sale ends. Don't fancy paying $21 per-rainbow. Report
September 15, 201313 yr comment_539084 No, not a jewel, this is it viewtopic.php?f=4&t=61015&p=688714&hilit=updated#p688714 Report
September 15, 201313 yr Author comment_539086 Gorgeous Adrienne!! Those Parkinsons rainbows are just stunning and your Reds have lovely colour -- I hope mine end up looking like that! Also those do look like female splendida rainbows. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.