found these ugly beasts at western springs in auckland today

disgustipated

umm how did they get there? how did they get into the country? :dunno:

Same way most of the pest species got to NZ. Intentionally introduced like possums, deer, hedgehogs, magpies, trout etc. Either to make money, because they're pretty snd surely couldn't cause a problem or because the acclimatization societies didn't believe British people could survive without familiar animals.

Same way most of the pest species got to NZ. Intentionally introduced like possums, deer, hedgehogs, magpies, trout etc. Either to make money, because they're pretty snd surely couldn't cause a problem or because the acclimatization societies didn't believe British people could survive without familiar animals.

Bull heads I believe were introduced by Chinese who loved deep fried catfish

I recall seeing live vats of them ages ago. I also recall eating them... Notrreally that tasty

• 3 weeks later...

I recall seeing one of those floating dead in one of the smaller lakes a few years ago. The koi they believe have been sterilized to avoid having a problem. No idea about the catfish. Years ago there was a ranger who used to walk around the place talking to everyone. He was a friendly old guy and told me they had turtles released in the lake. I have never seen any and he was murdered not long after so I could never find out. It probably would have been 20 years ago now.

• 1 month later...