My African Cichlid tank journal

Trelize

Awesome! Totally going to be keep an eye on this one for my own research!

For your stocking, did you stock for adult fish and just waiting for them to grow, or did you stock with the intention of getting rid of the more aggressive fish as they grow? I've been told that if you're buy juvies, you should buy at least double what you intend to have as adults, especially if you can't sex them yet.

Awesome! Totally going to be keep an eye on this one for my own research!

For your stocking, did you stock for adult fish and just waiting for them to grow, or did you stock with the intention of getting rid of the more aggressive fish as they grow? I've been told that if you're buy juvies, you should buy at least double what you intend to have as adults, especially if you can't sex them yet.

I have stocked Juvi's as this is my first cichlid tank and I figured I would like to watch them grow and figure the rest out as I go , at a later stage if needed I would consider swopping out .

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yes , the dolphins have brought the other fish out a lot more , they do still get a bit spooked but generally the come out more , and having them out makes us spend more time at the tank so they get used to us being around so Win Win really ! :thup:

Yes , the dolphins have brought the other fish out a lot more , they do still get a bit spooked but generally the come out more , and having them out makes us spend more time at the tank so they get used to us being around so Win Win really ! :thup:

• 1 month later...

Been a while since I updated my "journal"

I decided to do my sump a little differently so here is SUMP 2.0

20140903_215346_zpsusjqrukj.jpg

20140903_220616_zpsaewzzbgj.jpg

The reason I decided to do a re-design was that my old sump was just too difficult when it came to maintenance , I would have to completely remove the plumbing to get to the tower and I had actually no more space for any type of media at all if I wanted to add anything so I got thinking and came up with what you see above ,

I finished it up last night after a few tweaks here and there and so far the result is much better , my setup was always pretty quite and you could just here a bit if a splashing around in the old sump tower , but now it is totally silent , all you can hear is a slight hum from the pumps so well pleased :bggrn:

That's another good thing about a sump set up like this (with the Poret foam), any fish that do find their way into the sump are usually fine. When I first added the tetras to my tank I was rescuing 1-2 a day, it gradually tapered off to about one a week, now it's been at least 3 weeks since I've had to fish one out. Surprised such a small fish would be able to "learn" like that, but I guess they can!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The dems , the yellows and the Red tops have been holding , I have not been getting them out though so only the strong survive at the moment and that's none :dunno: Its just that I have to dismantle the rock work to catch one of them so huge work !

I don't know if anyone has any suggestions for in tank breeding if any ?