2 New Bettas

Trilobite

Heres babies tank

DSC_1257_zpsf85cd71d.jpg

Then they get to go into here once they are big enough

(lol excuse the bracing on the tank, lost heaps of tanks in the quakes and am paranoid about more falling over)

DSC_1258_zps014f6cc2.jpg

And the parents little tanks, excuse the mess, photos were taken just before a waterchange and Ive given up making these ones look nice lol

DSC_1254_zpsd805df15.jpg

Wow, looks like they will be spoilt in their future tank! Is that set up as a sorority?

Must have been horrible in the quakes! How many tanks/fish did you loose?

What size are the parents tanks? They look quite small :-?

They keep the water cleaner, fry can feed on the biofilm that forms on the leaves of the plants and the fish feel more comfortable with cover.

Another good thing, is with tall, broad leafed plants, the Bettas often like to rest on them, especially when they're near the surface, as they don't have to swim as far to reach the surface to breath.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah pretty much what Sam and Blondfish said.

I have one little male in particular who loves sitting on top of the floating leaves so his entire back is sticking out of the water...

I lost about 4 tanks. All my community fish died so I was left with only bettas who somehow survived even though their tanks fell down too. Then another quake smashed my growout tanks so the juvies had to be collected from the floor among the glass and under the couches into a dog water bowl lol they all survived though. So now i basically only keep fighters haha.

Yeah its kinda a sorority at the moment, just growing out some of my previous spawns females in there, but Ill only keep 1 or 2 of them and then they can go live in the "keeper" tank

Those tanks are about 7 L, roughly 30cm long. My non keeper males get way smaller living quarters than that though

Yeah pretty much what Sam and Blondfish said.

I have one little male in particular who loves sitting on top of the floating leaves so his entire back is sticking out of the water...

I lost about 4 tanks. All my community fish died so I was left with only bettas who somehow survived even though their tanks fell down too. Then another quake smashed my growout tanks so the juvies had to be collected from the floor among the glass and under the couches into a dog water bowl lol they all survived though. So now i basically only keep fighters haha.

Yeah its kinda a sorority at the moment, just growing out some of my previous spawns females in there, but Ill only keep 1 or 2 of them and then they can go live in the "keeper" tank

Those tanks are about 7 L, roughly 30cm long. My non keeper males get way smaller living quarters than that though

Awww, that's a shame!!!

I'm sorry for your losses &c:ry

At least you get all the guy of Bettas now though ^_^

Where do you sell your fry, once they're at a suitable age?

• 2 weeks later...
what age do you transfer your babys to a larger tank?

I put them in when theyve learnt to eat floating food and when they are roughly 2-3 cm. So around 2 months

Also your babies sound like they will turn out real nice, i expect pictures when they are old enough :thup:

Heres a pic of some of the bigger shiny ones just before they got scooped out and put into the big tank. Some are starting to marble and males are starting to appear

DSC_2329_zpsb1b87fe3.jpg

DSC_2291_zps21ff362a.jpg

DSC_2260_zps06cb9050.jpg

:cophot: :nfs:

Monique, am I imagining it or do the fry look like they have small crowns.

Yeah some of them are showing little crowns, Im hoping it goes away since but since these were imports who knows what crazy genes they are hiding.

The female was labelled as HM but she looked more like a hmpk to me so Im praying my eye was right and the babies dont end up with long fins lol

Yeah some of them are showing little crowns, Im hoping it goes away since but since these were imports who knows what crazy genes they are hiding.

The female was labelled as HM but she looked more like a hmpk to me so Im praying my eye was right and the babies dont end up with long fins lol

Who would know. The other question would be were the adults actually bred overseas or not. You would expect true imports to be pure breds otherwise perhaps the importers need to locate better breeders.

You have a good eye so all should be good.

Who would know. The other question would be were the adults actually bred overseas or not. You would expect true imports to be pure breds otherwise perhaps the importers need to locate better breeders.

You have a good eye so all should be good.

Yeah they were bred overseas at a random fish farm in singapore. There was a pretty big variety of quality in the shipment, some were absolutely stunning (almost perfect form, pure red hmpk completely clean of blue) and others were a bit of a mess.

Maybe in the future well be able to have top aquabid or IBC breeders as our fighter supplier which would be a dream come true

My eyes not that good, all my young female pks keep turning into males haha :nilly:

i dislike that red gene, some of my babys are starting to show their blue they are close to 1 month now , but the small breeding tanks look so full now, the amount of live food they eat is rediculous

Yeah Im not usually a fan of red either, but for some reason I quite like the look of it in the dragons. Luckily I have the redloss gene running through my other line which is my lifesaver for getting rid of red if I decide I dont like it

Lol babies are such pigs. it sounds like yours are going to be nice fat healthy fighters :D the most exciting time is definitely when they start to show their colours

Possibly not that strange - was one of the parents a half moon? When I was breeding I managed to get quite a few double tails from halfmoon spawns. They were easier to pick, they were the small fry that were stumpy and swam with a funny motion. Most of them were deformed in some way and few grew to adults.

• 4 weeks later...