2 New Bettas

Trilobite

I gave in and bought myself 2 new bettas yesterday.

A male dragon marble hmpk and dragon female hmpk.

Male has some faults particularly the round tail and dorsal and the kinked ventrals but I fell for his body and colour, hopefully the female can help straighten out some of his faults

I cant wait to breed them :-D

DSC_8976_zpsc0d53ea6.jpg?t=1376817585

DSC_8947_zpsa0e330be.jpg?t=1376817608

DSC_8776_zps984a8db7.jpg?t=1376817663

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah Ive got no clue if they are related or not, hope not since I dont want to fix the round tail trait in.

Female is really fussy and cant get her to eat her flakes...the only thing she likes is Insect Directs high protien cricket powder lol. But Ive got her with the juvies so they can teach her a thing or 2 about flakes

lol, this my first time getting wild fish onto a diff diet, dirt hoppers are like sand hoppers, just found under just about every log in NZ, they are part of the family Talitridae which is a land based shrimp 35163226.CRW_6706_RJ.JPG

easy to find, hard to catch.

Ohh Ill have a hunt tomorrow then, the store I got them form told me they were fed live food which explains why she has no clue about dry food. Would sand hoppers do the trick too?

Love the colours and the purpose, can't wait to see the result!

Looked at the male today and hes actually just a traditional pk... I was blinded by his colours lol. Still going to breed him to the girl though, it will be more of a colour spawn rather than a finnage spawn I guess now. Hopefully the cross will produce some relatively sharper finned fish but not expecting much

DSC_9606_zpsbcdbe863.jpg?t=1376991314

I just love this female shes so cute

DSC_9051_zps06699cb8.jpg?t=1376991496

Currently conditioning the pair, the male is building nests but they are tiny. Female is barred and flirty but still not very plump yet so I'll give her a week of fattening up before I introduce them.

Heres a little vid

I discovered the most amazing and easiest betta food in the world. Even the fussy girl loves it and she hates live food, bloodworms and everything else that bettas are meant to love...

Steamed eggs every single one of my bettas love it and its so easy to make and feed to them. Just squeeze it through a fish net intyo some water, put it in a drink bottle then squirt it into the tanks/jars. Very high in protein so apparently its really good for them too

Like this

http://greatbettafishcare.blogspot.co.n ... m-egg.html

You mix and egg with water it with water in a bowl until its all mixed together.

Then you get something like this http://i2.squidoocdn.com/resize/squidoo ... er-pot.jpg

Bit of water in the bottom pot, bowl of egg mixture in on the top pot

Put the lid on and leave it for about 15-20mins or until you can scoop a chunk out with a spoon

Then get a fish net, squeeze a chunk of steamed egg through that into water so it is just small chunks instead of one big chunk.

Then pour that new egg water into a drink bottle and enjoy the ease :-)

Also the pair have spawned and babies have hatched :-D

DSC_9697_zpsf3a6ae86.jpg?t=1377730137

DSC_9683_zpsc11be651.jpg?t=1377730240

• 1 month later...
Congrats on the spawn!

They are gorgeous Bettas! I'm sure their fry will be gorgeous too.

I'd love to see some pics of their tanks!

Heres babies tank

DSC_1257_zpsf85cd71d.jpg

Then they get to go into here once they are big enough

(lol excuse the bracing on the tank, lost heaps of tanks in the quakes and am paranoid about more falling over)

DSC_1258_zps014f6cc2.jpg

And the parents little tanks, excuse the mess, photos were taken just before a waterchange and Ive given up making these ones look nice lol

DSC_1254_zpsd805df15.jpg

i have never had plants in my betta tanks, is there an up side to it i do not know about?

They keep the water cleaner, fry can feed on the biofilm that forms on the leaves of the plants and the fish feel more comfortable with cover.