columnaris help in tank- new pictures added.am i right?

willow123

hello all, me again. I think this is the section that i am always writing in. i dont seem to have much luck these days.

sooooooooo i have a group of corys that are slowly karking it over time. They get a fungus looking film on them then little white spike looking things (columns) on them, and then they die within 42 hours.

i have had 2 corys, one bristlenose, and 3 other fish die in the last 3 months. the bristlenose had sores on it then got better, then karked it. and now i am watching my corys die one by one. about a week apart.

what can i treat a 500 litre tank with to help this not pass to its other inhabitants. The water parameters are good, no ammonia spikes or nitrate issues.

do i need to treat the whole tank too? if so with what? i have seen furan 2 but it would take be 5 boxes to treat.

should i put some salt in even thought the corys hate it? and so do my plants.

any help or tips would be appreciated. :tears:

i dont want to be too late

I would treat with salt (tonic or rock) at only 1 or 2 g/L, they should be ok with that as long as it is added slowly over ~24h. I have treated whitespot in a tank with corys at that rate.

as for other treatments I'll let others put in the 2 1/100 of a euro in

what are the parameters??, in a tank that large try your testing near the bottom of the tank, unless you have good circulation there may be alot more nitrates near the bottom than at thee top where you normally test.. most of the time columnaris and many other diseases are caused by water quality issues

what are the parameters??, in a tank that large try your testing near the bottom of the tank, unless you have good circulation there may be alot more nitrates near the bottom than at thee top where you normally test.. most of the time columnaris and many other diseases are caused by water quality issues

yes i did think that it may be water issues but have been testing it and doing heaps of water changes. everything is perfect. I have a big testing kit which has never been used so much since i got this big tank :o It does have movement in the tank as the plants sway and get blown around in the current if not secured. I am guessing this is good enough flow?

i took a picture last night of another cory that is looking like its on its way to rest in peace.

i will try and work out how to post it on here so you have an idea of what it looks like when it starts. Just incase i am wrong in my diagnosis.

I would treat with salt (tonic or rock) at only 1 or 2 g/L, they should be ok with that as long as it is added slowly over ~24h. I have treated whitespot in a tank with corys at that rate.

as for other treatments I'll let others put in the 2 1/100 of a euro in

thanks for your reply,

yes i think i may add some salt to see how they go. Thanks for the guide of dosage rate too. Its always nice to know when a treatment has worked personally for someone. other than just wing-ing it and hoping for the best. poor buggers!

This is the one that died 24 hours later last week

I hope i have done this right

http://s1299.photobucket.com/user/leahl ... c.jpg.html

and these are the newest sick one.see the bits sticking off it. this is the start.

http://s1299.photobucket.com/user/leahl ... b.jpg.html

http://s1299.photobucket.com/user/leahl ... 3.jpg.html

are we still thinking columnaris?

It doesn' look like any columnaris I have ever seen. What are the readings for pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate?

really? i am pleased about that but also still a little lost

just tested again

ammonia is 0. maybe a little greenish tinge but no where near the 0.25 level

nitrate-0

nitrite-0

ph- a smidge over 6,

Do you have a kh or gh test kit and how hot is your tank?

These are panda cory?

Are you dosing excel or anything else in our tank?

Is this a newly set up tank as nitrate are rarely at zero in an established one?

I will do the gh and kh now. havent done that in a while actually. balls..... my kit isnt reading right. might be out of date now.

Their temp is 26 which i know is high for them. but it has always been that way and find it wierd for them to suddenly after years of being there start getting this lurgy.

yep pandas.

nope no excel or anything.

yep nitrite is at 0, i have had it running since april, it has a external filter and i seeded it with my old filter noodles too and was very careful to slowly add the fish. much to my partners upset having millions of tanks running in our house for months.

wonder if the test is reading right then?

nitrate - not nitrite

Panda cory are the most fragile of the corydoras. Very susceptible to nitrate. If your nitrate is zero but you have slight ammonia it would indicate that possibly your tank is going through a mini cycle. Best to get rid of the ammonia as it will burn the skin. The other thing is that a higher temp will be speeding up the progress of what ever it is as cory like less than 25 and that is placing more stress on them.

Believe it or not they tolerate salt quite well but don't tolerate high temps - over 25, ammonia, nitrite or nitrate. I once had guppies get severe ammonia poisoning, and I do mean severe. They were mine, but not in my tank and their skin peeled - thats what looks like is happening here or maybe it is lice?