Leopard Gecko

Hi, I am 17 and currently living in Auckland. I am new to reptiles and have never owned one before. Recently I have taken interest in owning a reptile and I would love to own a Leopard Gecko. I'm from America and in any generic pet store you can pretty much buy the Leos for about 30-40-50 dollars from what I remember. Today I went to an Animates store just to ask questions about purchasing one, the manager there told me that they could order me one for around 250-300 dollars directly from the breeder, and also told me that I should buy a few thousand dollars worth of equipment from them ironically. He also told me Bearded Dragons were easier to take care of; therefore I should just buy one of those..?..?.. However I am not prepared to take care of a Bearded Dragon as they seem to be expensive and obviously the needs of each animal varies from species to species. I would love to know if I could import a leo from America? Does NZ have a problem with that? Would it be cheaper? I know all about what they need in their habitat, (hides, warm area, cold area, no sand, mealworms etc) I was even going to breed the Mealworms as to save time and money, however the manager at the Animates store totally shot me down with how much it apparantly is to obtain one of these Leopard Geckos. I'm fully prepared to spend money, but not a few grand for one. I'm disappointed with how hard it is to obtain information on these Leos. Once again I'm new so I would really appreciate it if someone could spare some information and help someone who is new to the hobby and is interested in HOPEFULLY becoming a part of the reptile community.

Thank You

~Brice

i really don't mean to be rude but don't deal with animates for reptiles/reptile products. you can get leos for as cheap as $150 now and you often find old fish tanks with cracked bottoms that people just give away. you can even buy the exact products that animates sell for half the price brand new from other places. i don't mean to be so anti-animates lol but i think it is totally unfair how they take advantage of their more novice customers :-?

I breed them as well as bearded dragons but will not have either available until around xmas. Leps are easier than dragons as they need less space and don't need UV lights. Both do well on live insects and need more variety than just mealworms. Suggest you start breeding locusts and or crickets if you are serious about becoming an owner---buying food can get expensive and some people feed only mealworms because they are cheaper and easier to breed but in my view a variety of live food is best.

They come up periodically on trademe but not so much at this time of year. If you are half handy you can build a reptile enclosure yourself for a lot less than buying from animates. An even cheaper option would be to look at getting a permit to keep NZ native geckos---they require even less space and no heating. Good luck.

I breed them as well as bearded dragons but will not have either available until around xmas. Leps are easier than dragons as they need less space and don't need UV lights. Both do well on live insects and need more variety than just mealworms. Suggest you start breeding locusts and or crickets if you are serious about becoming an owner---buying food can get expensive and some people feed only mealworms because they are cheaper and easier to breed but in my view a variety of live food is best.

They come up periodically on trademe but not so much at this time of year. If you are half handy you can build a reptile enclosure yourself for a lot less than buying from animates. An even cheaper option would be to look at getting a permit to keep NZ native geckos---they require even less space and no heating. Good luck.

I agree with the native geckos part, plus when you get the permit the geckos are FREE :wink:

But the permit and the enclosure would still cost just as much as a Leo

:iag: a good native cage will set you back a good few hundred. plus permits are now $110 plus gst. natives are nice but if you are starting out a leo is the better option. cheap, easy and hassle free :thup:

I also agree that getting a leo is a much better starter reptile than a bearded dragon. They require a lot less equipment and are much much easier to feed.

While Alan is right in saying that leos don't come out much during daylight hours, so you may not see it wandering around too much naturally, it doesn't stop you from handling it thought ;).

I got my Leo from Alan and she's doing wonderfully :)

The Leo being nocturnal is not a problem. My main reason for buying a Leo was that they seem the be fairly easy to take care of if you know the specifics. I've contacted a few breeders you guys have recommended, hopefully everything works out! If any of you feel like you could give me some advice or even contact me about a possible breeder to buy from then just PM me on here. Or contact me via email, [email protected]. Thanks so much for all the info! You guys helped much more than Animates did! :facepalm:

Leopards are the go, easy to care for relatively easy to hand tame, enclosure only needs to be a standard 24"x12" foot print and can be decorated to your liking, faeces is left in a chosen spot and relatively scent free. No requirement for uv, just a tempered spot. Given you will become an addict there are some nice new varieties popping up for the future collection.

I found them totally boring,mind you I do prefer to leave things to their own devices other than feeding etc.Not one to handle things alot.The leopard i had was more intent on taking my finger or bits of it off?I had it for 6 months or so and never ever saw it eat?