Hypsophrys nicaraguensis / Nicaragua Cichlid

Mcculloch

Ive had these guys for a while but finally decided to have a go at getting them to spawn.

Was'nt happening for quite a while which surprised me as I thought they would be simple to get going just like any other paired up central or south american cichlid.

Recently my grandmother passed away and in her belongings was a tudor vase apperantly its some kind of antique so I grabed it before anyone else could ...... :wink:

DSC_0799_zps6a922adf.jpg

DSC_0809_zpse774ccd2.jpg

DSC_0806_zpsd524dd1c.jpg

I'm selling 2 of them I tried to breed them but they didn't pair, apparently they are hard to pair and use a lot of space to spawn

they are such beautiful fish ill give them another go one day but its the deal of buy 6 when a pair form sell the other 4

Thanks David I usually lean more towards the African side of things but Ive always liked Nicaraguans, wonder how they would go in with your Eartheaters.

They're not aggressive enough to bother them and not small enough to be eaten, so fine I'd guess!

:nfs:

Will the stay with frontosas fine? PH around 8.5 .....

:facepalm: I think I already know the answers but still want to ask. Such nice fish.

quick google search said 6.7-8 for these fish (http://diszhal.info/english/cichlids/en ... uensis.php)

but frontosas are between 7.8-9 (wikipidea)

so little bit of over lap... and i have seen them in a african cichlid tank before (mine they were sold to me at the high ph but then i read up about them so changed them down because i could)

I'm sure you could find a middle ground of moderately hard water with a pH of high 7s to low 8s where they could both coexist, if thats your thing. Only problem is they'd make the fronts seem drab by comparrison!!

:lol:

*edit* that said, these nics look far nicer than any others I've seen here. Give your fish the right water and the right food and they'll reward you with great colours and plenty of fry.

Here here! You would never get the stunning colours you see here keeping them in a less-than-ideal pH. That's the difference between surviving and thriving.

mine I've had in ph's from 8.2 all the way down to 6.8 and always been looking as bright as these ones tho the blue face is a bit darker on mine and the yellow is like a metallic gold, tho it could just be your camera steeling some of the colour? yours have a bit more red on the belly that mine don't tho

i might try take a photo...

• 3 weeks later...