Where to buy NLS?

tessgirl

Most people are buying them cheaper in bulk of the internet and some are on selling them cheaper than the lfs.

No point for shop to stock them just to sell to a handful of customers. Just not worth the hassle.

Ron

I was told it's too exspensive. :o

when HFF first started selling it i was paying $156 per 2.24kg bucket plus $15 freight. Then the price went up to approx $195 plus $15 freight so i looked for an alternative supplier as the price had gone well out of hand. I found kensfish.com were, and still are today selling the buckets for $50USD and if i buy two the total freight cost is around $80USD so with the currency exchange it made it around $220NZD delivered to my door for TWO buckets when i could buy locally each bucket is approx $210 so it is a pretty easy decision i think.

I suspect the buy price HFF gets is over the top but what ever the situation is it is too easy to get the same product for almost half the price even when you pay so much in freight.

I hope in the future that HFF or any other local supplier can supply it at a realistic price so i can buy locally but until that happens i'll continue to get it sent from the US.

to clarify, i am not apposed to buying from HFF, i have spent hundreds of dollars with them but to pay double the price for something isn't the right choice.

It's a sad fact of retail sales today, it seems in so many cases the international distributors seem blind to the opportunity to shop online and still think they can rape little old NZ on prices for everything. Like Smidey I would much prefer to support local stores when possibly, but when I can buy the goods online cheaper than HFF can buy them for it's just not realistic.

I just ordered some NLS from Kensfish, along with some LEDs for my new tank (I was talking to HFF about them, same story, no one can supply them with anything remotely competitive to what is available online).

HFF still have some NLS in stock at reasonable clear-out prices, might pay to give them a call before ordering to see what they have left?

It's a sad fact of retail sales today, it seems in so many cases the international distributors seem blind to the opportunity to shop online and still think they can rape little old NZ on prices for everything. Like Smidey I would much prefer to support local stores when possibly, but when I can buy the goods online cheaper than HFF can buy them for it's just not realistic.

I just ordered some NLS from Kensfish, along with some LEDs for my new tank (I was talking to HFF about them, same story, no one can supply them with anything remotely competitive to what is available online).

HFF still have some NLS in stock at reasonable clear-out prices, might pay to give them a call before ordering to see what they have left?

+1

many businesses are changing their business model and moving to compete in the evolving marketplace by cutting out the middle man and buying direct themselves

most people will always prefer to shop locally rather than import themselves so long as the price gap is not too wide

the exchange rate is still fairly god

maybe the problem is the suppliers continue to supply both retailer and internet retailer at the same rate. I personally would rather visit a shop than sit at a computer. but the shops will not be there much longer at this rate. (plus if they absorb the price increase it still gets passed on, i.e. higher fish prices)

Perhaps the shops need to start buying certain products online to show their wholesalers that supplying them with items which price them out of the market isnt going to help further business for either of them... Seems crazy we can buy everything for around 1/2 the rrp shipped, including many high end products.

somehow a product in the US which is retail $50USD was as much as $160USD ($200NZD) in New Zealand. Something doesn't add up there but it is not just fish food, it seems virtually all items that are imported see such a massive increase.

Thankfully the internet and fedex make it easy to get much better retail prices.

Price is usually dependant on how many hands and profit margins it has passed through

yeah and it is laughable that NZ wholesale prices are far more than retail in other countries. Unfortunately for the wholesalers and retailers in NZ the customers are getting smarter and bypassing them all together. That may have detrimental effects on some things but so be it.