What's this?

the-obstacle

I rescued the last remaining A. Heckelii from my ex's house yesterday and they're both in various levels of sickness. I can't figure out what these white tufts are. Any ideas?

I've got them in a tank with freshly changed water. I've thrown in a handfull of epsom salts and some melafix for good luck. If I can get an ID I'll treat accordingly.

q14o.jpg

Some kind of fungal infection, I've had a handful of various cichlids with something similar. Never got a real ID beyond "Maybe some kinda fungus", "Maybe opportunistic fungus", maybe hexamita or maybe fish TB.

I did yank one of the tufts out of one fish's head once and took a picture...

yuck.jpg

Columnaris sometimes shows itself as cotton wool tufts on the face. Its one of the first infestations that occur

after stressors have weakened the fish. Further diagnosis is needed of course.

I would suggest lowering the temperature, to the lower end of the fishes scope of tolerance,which inhibits the bacterium.

Dosing the tank with a salt solution of 1% 1g per liter for one week , that can be phased out with regular WC's.

Couple this with a salt dip in a 3-5% solution. 3 times a day for 3 days. It won't kill off the bugs but will inhibit it. Allowing the immunity to kick in and prevent further spread to other fish. I have heard of mixed results with furan2 available at your LFS. I think it affects gram neg and positive.I'll check on that

later today. Good luck

There is finrot going on as well and that is bacterial---needs an antibiotic.

I agree.

Finrot can be either fungal or bacterial or excessive salt(5%+) solution in the tank water.

You often find a multitude of bad guys(bacterium) attacking at the same time. A microscope and some fish slime would help you narrow down your target.

A good read http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/columnaris_disease.php

Good luck

What have you done so far to help your fish?

I started by rescuing him from a rotten tank and treating the good tank with salt and melafix while trying to figure out what exactly is wrong with him. Now that I know I will treat the condition and hope for the best.

Are you accusing me of not doing enough?

Whoa, easy on tiger.

Not accusing you of anything. Just a level of transparency. In the interest of learning what has and hasn't worked in this particular case.

Fish disease and ailments are pretty tricky to diagnose and correct. Especially when people are remotely helping.

By listing what remedies you have used and found effective can help people out in the future.

Good luck though.

personally if he is showing signs of recovery I would hold back on the furan 2, best to not stress the sytem unless required.

get him a pile of live food to keep his strength up. and keep up the clean water.

imo Furan 2 is the Last resort.

still can't believe someone would do that so such a beautiful fish.

Just a guess from a distance. Can observe finrot---needs an antibiotic. Fungus is an oportunistic infection that will often follow finrot. The other "fungus" may be columnaris which needs to be hit hard and rapidly, hence my preference for furan. Other antibiotics are prescription only. Not compulsary but it is what I would use.

Whoa, easy on tiger.

Not accusing you of anything. Just a level of transparency. In the interest of learning what has and hasn't worked in this particular case.

Fish disease and ailments are pretty tricky to diagnose and correct. Especially when people are remotely helping.

By listing what remedies you have used and found effective can help people out in the future.

Good luck though.

Sorry, I was in reactive mode. How dare you question my methods! :sage:

Um, yeah, so just good clean water, a bit of salt and some melafix as of yesterday and I've added furan 2 today. No obvious signs of improvement so far but it has only been 12 hours. Will update in the next couple of days with the outcome.

Thanks all for your help, it's very much appreciated.