Another fish problem - a single bloated fish

iisfaq

I can not remember the name of this fish but they are great - large about 6"+ and very mellow.

I have 3 in my tank along with Discus + some other small fish and they are very peaceful.

Just before I went on holiday I noticed this fish (1 of the 3) is sort of bloated with a lump out the side - I then went on holiday for a month and it was worse on my return.

Over the last 3 weeks it is just getting worse.

Bloated.jpg

Any thoughts on what it could be or how to resolve - or should I just put the fish down?

Chris

Awwww, that's really looking awfull Chris. Never seen this.

Think this fish is suffering and I would euthanise it (sorry), thinking it's not treatable.

First thing I'm thinking about is Dropsy. Bacteria or viruses that damage organs and fluid building up inside.

Dropsy though is more a swelling of the belly and often give colourloss as well. This one is coloured perfectly !!

This last could mean it's a tumor inside. Sorry I couldn't help you better.

Greetings from Holland, Aad

It's a red lined torpedo barb. Doesn't look like dropsy to me, maybe a worm or some other parasite? Just guessing...

Try and cure it, you can't buy them in NZ any more!

Do you have any thoughts on how to cure it?

I did not know you could not buy them anymore - it would have been 3 years ago we purchased these fish.

They are great fish, large and super peaceful.

Chris

Can't help, sorry &c:ry Hopefully some of the more experienced members will chime in.

They are cool fish, I have six of them. Good luck with yours :wave:

Edit: I did a bit of google-foo, and dropsy doesn't always have protruding scales as a symptom, so it could be dropsy. You could try the standard dropsy treatment of epsom salts. It helps relieve pressure by drawing excess fluid out of the fishes tissues and cavities. But you'd only be treating a symptom, and sadly, most times treatment is ineffective. Furan2 might help, it's an anti-bacterial you can get from fish shops.

Another cause of swelling is constipation. Try feeding it shelled peas and see if it helps.

I'm no expert though, I've just been researching on the web. Good luck

http://www.aboutfishonline.com/articles/dropsy.html

http://www.fishnet.org/sick-fish-chart.htm

the swelliing in the back makes me inclined to move away from dropsy, It looks a bit similar to a guppy with cancer I saw a few years ago. and there are some parasitic worms that can do this too, but they are extremely rare expecially in NZ.

maybe an abcess (if so you may be able to draw the fluid out with either a salt bath (via osmosis) or with a small syringe.

personally I would euthanise. then dissect and post photos. :sage: