Freshwater Cichlids"

Jaxxnz

Has any1 had some success in climatise experiment?

I had a batch of jag few months back..for many many weeks passby, I never realised my heater was unplug.. :rolfl:

The weather has been soo dam cold.. especially in the garage, and I still have some baby jag surviving in cold water..

tingling in the mind" would they survive in NZ water condition?

tingling in the mind" would they survive in NZ water condition?

I highly doubt it, certainly not in any long-term sense and certainly not thriving. If they did [which they won't] I certainly wouldn't go crowing about it on a public forum where the authorities have been known to browse, the last thing we need to do is give them more reason to restrict/ban fish!

Difference between a hardy healthy overwieght fish scrapeing through our winter and that species establishing/breeding here.

Guy I know tried it with Texas and convicts he moved them all inside about a month ago as they were all very pale and unhealthy looking.

In Auckland, people have had texas survive outside in auckland over winter, it would depend on the spot and on the winter.

Still though difference between thriving and surviving personally I say stick them in the pond over summer bring them inside over winter you'll end up with some nice looking fish.

Texas is one of the species I have often wondered about as they are from about as far north as any cichlid. I've heard of them surviving outside in the US down to about 60F (~15C), so I don't like their chances here over winter, even right up north. Same goes for Gymnogeophagus balzanii, which comes from well below the equator and really needs a cooler winter period down to about 12-15C (IIRC) to thrive/breed. I think they'd do fine in an unheated tank indoors, but not outside. I just did a water change and the temp of the water from my rainwater tank was only about 8C.

Texas is one of the species I have often wondered about as they are from about as far north as any cichlid. I've heard of them surviving outside in the US down to about 60F (~15C), so I don't like their chances here over winter, even right up north. Same goes for Gymnogeophagus balzanii, which comes from well below the equator and really needs a cooler winter period down to about 12-15C (IIRC) to thrive/breed. I think they'd do fine in an unheated tank indoors, but not outside. I just did a water change and the temp of the water from my rainwater tank was only about 8C.

There's a good chance a pond would be warmer than a rainwater tank though. Pond will be in the ground, which won't be as cold as the air.

I highly doubt it, certainly not in any long-term sense and certainly not thriving. If they did [which they won't] I certainly wouldn't go crowing about it on a public forum where the authorities have been known to browse, the last thing we need to do is give them more reason to restrict/ban fish!

Oops..so right I forgot about these guy patrolling on these forum... :iag:

man last time they were knocking on my door steps like doing drugs raid.. :digH:

ok people, these cichlids will die out in NZ water for sure..during the winter that is!!

There's a good chance a pond would be warmer than a rainwater tank though. Pond will be in the ground, which won't be as cold as the air.

Possibly, but I doubt there would be many ponds in NZ [without some sort of heat source] that stay above 12C year round. And even then 12C is marginal for those cichlids...

correct me if im wrong but doesn't the chemical make up of the fishes body system determine what temperature it can survive in?, so technically the climatization thing is more about what extremes it can survive in for short terms but in the long term you would be doing considerable damage.

Haha, I tryed to play monkey man by trying to make blind guppies by keeping them in my sump without any light. Turns out I just forgot to feed them and they died, out of sight out of mind and that .

If you want blind guppies just throw something like this over the tank:

023520136_0215369115222b42a9dc12210149a77fe96e88be0fed1c8b2.jpg