My first Native Tank.

F15hguy

yeah noticed that last night :facepalm: , diagonal facial stripes. got a nice big (6cm) male last night showing full colour and a couple of smaller females (??)

plus a small koura (2-3cm) do small koura have tiny little claws?, kinda like shrimp claws?

Giant bullies will eat anything smaller than them (well about 1/3 of their size any way) and can be very shy, the one that I had never came out like the other bullies.

hrmmm..... now I think i see why Dean wants Giants for the tank... meany :evil:

ok... just found this from http://www.clearwatercrayfish.co.nz/koura.html

anyone got one???

New Zealand Red Glory

After finding some distinctively red coloured juvenile koura in the farm, those were set aside and raised in an independent circular tank. With careful selected breeding, a significant stock of pure red koura has been developed. It appears that a red gene has been developed in the NZCC general stock and we have been able to isolate it by trial and error.

We are now able to supply the aquarium market within New Zealand with this unique natural creature. At the moment, purchase of NZ Red Glory is only available direct from the farm as shown in the Sales section previously.

pics of my new boy, collected by dangling upside down off a bridge to get to him as the river was surrounded by blackberry and I had 10 mins till I had to pic up the missus.

I have named him Spike (due to the state of my legs after this mission)

8osg.jpg

et84.jpg

Wow, what a vivid blue stripe in the first pic! Is he normally blue like that? Redfin males are usually a blue-green, and I haven't seen any colour variation other than intensity. The other bullies can have quite varying colours, especially uplands (orange, green, hot pink, clear, yellow!).

I love you story of dangling over the bridge to catch him. That is true dedication to native fish geekery :hail:

got a couple of shots of 2 of the banded kokopu. also new additions this week are 3x inanga (little big bigger this time round :roll: ) and 3 redfins, 1 x male and 2 x bigger females (different population so will be interesting). Its hard to say no to collecting fish sometimes but I put back all of the giants I found and all the smaller inanga and banded I caught last night.

wgef.jpg

2uqi.jpg