Advice to a beginner please.

padge

Hi guys

Well i have set up my new juwel rekord 800 110L aquarium, it has now been cycling for 48 hrs now, the temp is sitting on 21c the Ph level is 6.8. I also used water conditioner to.

My question is what fish to put in first?

Thanks

2nld0rm.jpg

What type of fish are you wanting to keep? 21c is too low for most tropical but perfect for some like wcmm and borneo suckers.

Also your tank isn't cycled yet so you may want to consider either doing a fishless cycle or getting a couple of cheap fish to help it cycle, beware though that some people consider this cruel.

What type of fish are you wanting to keep? 21c is too low for most tropical but perfect for some like wcmm and borneo suckers.

Also your tank isn't cycled yet so you may want to consider either doing a fishless cycle or getting a couple of cheap fish to help it cycle, beware though that some people consider this cruel.

OK yes i will give it a few more days before adding any fish, as for temp that is still rising 21c is a bit nippy.

What fish would you recommend to begin with? I do want some angel fish one two maybe but someone told me my tank is to small?

Cheers

110ltrs is on the small side for a couple of angels, why not go for a medium school of neons or something and a couple of medium sized dwarf cichlids like keyholes/kribs or apistos.

Whenever I do a cycle with fish I have used neons as they are the cheapest tropical fish available to me. If you do decide to cycle it with them only buy 6 to start with then wait a month or so before adding more.

The tank will not cycle just by letting it sit empty a few days. You need a food source (fish waste for a fish-in cycle, or pure ammonia if you do a fishless cycle) for the bacteria to feed on and grow.

IMO there is nothing cruel about using fish to cycle if you use a few and go slowly. 6 danios in there for a month would do it. Then add more fish slowly over time.

What other fish, apart from angels, did you have in mind?

110ltrs is on the small side for a couple of angels, why not go for a medium school of neons or something and a couple of medium sized dwarf cichlids like keyholes/kribs or apistos.

Whenever I do a cycle with fish I have used neons as they are the cheapest tropical fish available to me. If you do decide to cycle it with them only buy 6 to start with then wait a month or so before adding more.

Thanks for that advice, i will do just that.

Could i possibly get away with 1 angel?

hey if you like angel fish is it the long ventral fins that catches your attention.. how about a couple of beautiful pearl gourami or dwarf gouramis , they also have those long feeler like fins and they're cute when they use them to touch each other.

here's my two gourami when they were young

2011Janpearlgouramisjuvlifespnis4to7yrs.jpg

and a closeup of one of them as an adult (male)

Pearlgourami20131.jpg

I guess.. my pearls are in a 155L tank but I thought a 110l might just be ok for two if there are only smaller fish as companions.

I quite like the gold honey dwarf gourami but sadly my two didn't last... had the symptoms of the dreaded so called dwarf gourami disease but I'll never know for sure.

one of my gold honeys

GHDG2.jpg

Hey, a fellow Southlander!

I wouldn't bother with one angel dude/dudette, they do better off in groups anyway.

Sorry Godly3vil didnt see your comment about fellow southlander, didn't mean to be rude and not say hi.

Hi there, I have 10 neon tetras, They have been in the tank 2 days now, I think they are starved of oxygen they are swimming at the top of the tank gills going flat out, I just fed them 1st time today and they didn't eat?? Any ideas??

is the surface of the tank water being agitated

flow increases dissolved oxygen in the water

The surface water is slowly moving, looks like it has a white film on the surface also.

So change some water you reckon?