Quantity of Seachem Prime to be added

sandaz

Hi,

I bought a second hand full set up which came with a big bottle of Prime and the dosage to be used was already written on the bottle. Have never queried it as tank was healthy etc.

Just read the label today and it talks about using different amounts depending on whether you are premixing the solution before adding the water vs adding it directly to the tank.

"Use 1 capful (10ml) for each 400L of new water. May be added to aquarium directly, but better if added to new water first. If adding directly to the aquarium, base dose on aquarium volume."

So now wondering whether I am using the right quantities of Prime. I premix a bucket of water with Prime and add to the tank, and then refill the rest of the tank via a hose straight from the tap. Tank is 320L.

I do 50% water changes and would add 3ml at each WC. But should I double the dosage because the water is going in directly via tap after premix? Does the difference come into play when adding Prime directly or when adding water directly?

Based on the instructions on the bottle you should be dosing based on the tanks volume, not the amount of water changed, each time you dose. This way it covers the existing water for ammonia etc. as well as treating the incoming water for chlorine/chloramines. It doesn't matter whether you pre-mix it or add it to the tank after/during the water top up though.

If you are changing 160 litres per change and have the capacity to treat the 160 litres before you put it in your tank, then you only need to treat the 160 litres.

If you are putting the new water directly into your tank then you need to treat the whole 320 litres.

The reason for this is that the prime is diluted to the total volume of the body of water, and then takes effect.

It is virtually impossible to overdose with prime.

Just use 10 ml directly into your tank and you will be fine. Note my bottle (250 ml) has a 5 ml cap.

There are other topics here discussing whether or not the things it removes are in the NZ water treatment systems, so there is some personal preference about water conditioners.

Cheers.

I agree with Henward. You are treating the chlorine and chloramines that are in the water you are adding as part of a water change. Ammonia can be released as part of the treatment for chloramines but there should be no ammonia in the remaining water if the tank has been cycled properly.

Why is it different? You are only treating the amount of chlorine and chloramines that is contained in the water being added.

You're right, and I'm basing my comments on the line "If adding directly to the aquarium, base dose on aquarium volume." from the side of the bottle. Someone else commented above regarding why you have to do it that way. Personally I just put a bit in the tank after the water change (I use a hose too) and have never had an issue.

The bottle says "will remove x parts of ....... Per y litres of water ...." Where x is a number, which most people can't measure, and y is the volume of water being de x'd

So if you are doing a 50% wc on a 200l tank then you are de x'ing 100 litres of water

The instructions do not mention anything about removing x/2 parts if using with 2*y the volume.

Even though logically they imply this by just using 2* the amount of product if you have 2* the amount of water.

As a manufacturer it makes sense to both have the user use more product by doubling the amount of product used (in the example of a 50% wc above), but also it may protect the manufacturer from some liability claims if only using 1/2 the recommended amount. (Isn't it an American product?)

At the end of the day it really is as simple as this:

Some people read instructions and follow them (no comment on whether or not those instructions make logical sense)

Some people read instructions and don't follow them,

Some people don't read instructions.

Just my 2 cents....

Suppose I lived in Mexico City (or somewhere else with heavily chlorinated water. Far more chlorinated than here in NZ I would pressume) and I bought myself a bottle of prime for my aquarium. I would read the label and then use the same amount of prime as I would here and it would probably work.

What I mean is that I guess prime dosing (being a global product) would be based on the maximum allowable chlorine content IN THE WORLD (or thereabouts) and as such if we follow prime dosing we would probably always be dosing far more than actually needed.

Anyone agree with this?