Tetra suggestions please

redracer77

I am wanting to get a group of approx 30 tetras for my 300L 4ft tank, looking for something medium sized (ie bigger than neon) I have had black widows and redfins in the past.

I have been looking at pristellas.

Any other suggestions or comments?

I like serpae and rummy nose tetras. Blue Tetras are pretty good too.

My pristellas look great - I only have 6 but they have coloured up really well. Look way better in the tank than in the shop. I also have rosy tetra and one white tipped ornate tetra, the ornate are really active in their own group.

Only 30? I'd be aiming for at least 50 for a decent shoal. Neons are timeless, harlequins are solid too.

I wouldn't bother with neons, get cardinals instead. They're bigger, more colorful and seem to be hardier.

I really liked my 50+ lemon tetra school. It was nice that they are bigger and also the cheapest tetra around.

Do you have a pic of them in your tank?

Yeah lemons are certainly good bang-for-buck, they seem to school really well when given a bit of space too.

I did see lemons as well as silver tips, choice in Nelson is pretty limited so I will have to order them in anyway.

Yeah lemons are certainly good bang-for-buck, they seem to school really well when given a bit of space too.

:iag:

I really liked my 50+ lemon tetra school. It was nice that they are bigger and also the cheapest tetra around.

How big was the tank ive got a 215l with 11 in could I do with more perhaps?

mmm love lemon tetras. if you have a nice planted tank they should colour up wayyy more than shop tanks, they should get a nice yellow body and the males will have a striking black anal fin. if you keep the water good they will spawn about once a week in ambulia or other fine-leaved plant

depends what else is in there ;) if just them you could put a lot more in there

:iag:

It was about 700L. I could have had 3 times the amount of lemons in there but as it was there was heaps of room for them to shoal around the tank. I'll definitely be getting more lemons the next time I set that tank up.