Coldwater shrimp for a 20L tank?

Squidlet

Hey everyone

I bought a 21L blue planet aquarium with a light and internal filter for the desk in my room. It currently has a 5cm goldfish in it. I have heard people talking about cold water shrimp, and was wondering firstly: Will they be compatible with my goldfish, secondly: is this tank big enough for cold water shrimp AND a goldfish, and thirdly: where can you get them? I live in Masterton but am heading down to wellington on the 23rd, any idea if any pet shops along the way stock them?

Any info would be great, as I don't know the name for them I can't look up any care info for them either :dunno:

Hi there, small fish and shrimp work well together but I wouldn't want any thing gold fish size or bigger in the same tank.

as to where to get the shrimp, you will probably need to go out and find them as it is illegal to sell them unless farmed for selling ( I haven't seen anyone doing this ).

Good news is there is a fair amount of info on here, I have posted a few times and can give you more info, as well as stella and blueether (?).

If you do a search on Paratya curvirostris of fresh water shrimp on the site you should get some good info

And the goldfish doesn't eat the plants? You've got him well trained! 20L is only really suitable for Bettas or hospital tanks. Lose the fish, get the shrimp.

Nope :) Ive had goldfish in planted tanks for a few years, and Ive never once had a problem with them eating them. I have Ludwigia in there currently, and haven't had to replace the plants either they grow quite well (touchwood).

Hi there, small fish and shrimp work well together but I wouldn't want any thing gold fish size or bigger in the same tank.

as to where to get the shrimp, you will probably need to go out and find them as it is illegal to sell them unless farmed for selling ( I haven't seen anyone doing this ).

Good news is there is a fair amount of info on here, I have posted a few times and can give you more info, as well as stella and blueether (?).

If you do a search on Paratya curvirostris of fresh water shrimp on the site you should get some good info

Bummer! I love how goldfish have character, i was desperately hoping they could live together in harmony :nilly: Thank you for your info I'll have a good read up tonight, I may have to go on a shrimp catching expedition. What other small cold water fish would be suited to a 20L tank that can live happily with shrimp?

If you shoot over to the coast, castle point etc, you should be able to find some fairly easily.

Catching your own is way more fun (and free) but The Pet Center(s) in the Hut probably still sell them

Thanks for this :) I could probably make a day of it and head to castlepoint. Where would you be looking out there?

could have a small group of mountain minnows with them.

I havent had a look in the stream there but imagine if you had a look around the bridge closest to the sea you might find something - just drag a net through any weeds

any coastal stream should have them, and I have cough them over 150 km inland in ok numbers.

You might get better results in a stream that doesn't flood much, especially this time of the year.

I would go with minnows or 'coldwater' guppies if the tank wont get below about 18 deg.

• 9 months later...