Crab

fychan

well found a crab hiding in a piece of live rock. have demoted him to the sump tank as think its a gorilla crab and not reef safe, any confirmation or knowledge as to type of crab

10237_10151450010795509_546023649_n.jpg

tried some cat kibble but found that floats, so it is now munching on some ham. thinking if I leave it in the sump tank it will eat any detritus that gets down there

oopps, thanks for the heads up, no idea what to feed him now? Still in the early stages of setting up tank so hopefully any damage the small piece of ham has done will be sorted before any fish go in.

This is the tank atm

984198_10151447491115509_1481582373_n.jpg

It will give your tank something to cycle with :dnc1: perhaps a small pinch of fish food scope times a week to feed him or cut up a mussel finely again not too much at a time (you can freeze the rest of it and just hack a little bit off

It may also eat algae in your tank

at the moment having your tank bare like it is for the cycle process i'd probably have the crab in the main tank... this way you have "some" life in there and you feel less inclined to populate the tank early. this also gives you time to work out what he is and decide if you want to keep him or pass him on.

Primo looking tank by the way, I can see good things coming there

have some brittle cone star fish and some brine shrimp in the tank,off the live rock, I don't want him to eat so for the moment really do want to keep him in the sump. Shall get some mussels for him - good excuse to buy some for me!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I bought two large pieces of live rock on the weekend and after inspecting it all prior to putting in, I found one of these hiding in it too. Quite amazing how it managed to squeeze into the crevace it was in!! Didn't want it in the tank trying to take a nip out of a seahorse so managed to pry it out with some tweezers. Body was about 30mm across. Some big pincers on it!

Yup, just plastic chain weighted down - makes a great hitching post. Since they are still very small, they can easily hold on to the coral rock, candy cane, and finger leather too. There are plenty of caves to hide in as well to keep out of the current as they can get tired! The outlet nozzle from the pump is angled horizontally and the wavemaker intensity is also turn down so the current in the tank is quite mild so they don't get blown around!