Sump things

camtang

Does anybody do anything other than filter water in their sump? Grow plants, raise fry anything like that. One of mine seems like it has potential to do something with. I was thinking of growing some plants in it to help with the filtration process

I doubt aquatic plants would do much but you could hang the roots of some terrestrial or marginal plants in the tank, something edible would be choice :thup:

Why do you not think aquatic plants would do any good?

Edible is always good

I like the idea of having plants in the sump, pothos/devils ivy seems to be the one to go for for nitrate removal but I haven't seen it for sale over here.

Thats the kinda thing I am wanting to do

Because they're limited to the size of the tank, I suppose you could put some fast growers in there and keep cutting them back. Out of water plants tend to grow faster but I guess they'd both be fine :)

Because they're limited to the size of the tank, I suppose you could put some fast growers in there and keep cutting them back. Out of water plants tend to grow faster but I guess they'd both be fine :)

Makes sense

Emersed plants would be best as they grow more aggressively and the absorption takes place mainly through the roots.

What would you suggest?

My experience has only been in cleaning up septic tank effluent prior to discharge and all the plants used required permits from Maf. Class A noxious weeds in the day. Lincoln University had some people working on it many moons ago. I would think any plant that grows well and is a heavy feeder would do the job. With septic tank effluent there was also a dieoff of bacteria which was part of the attraction. That required pretty free movement around the roots. They were trying to reduce coliforms whereas you probably want to encourage the bacteria associated with the nitrogen cycle.

I have always used my sumps for more than just filtration.

Freshwater sump I use to have a light over the center area and grow out plantlets from plants etc and keep picked on fish to heal etc.

Marine sump I have small peppermint shrimp in there until they are big enough to not be eaten in the DT.

Good for acclimatising fish too. (floating the bag and drip acclimating). I am actually thinking of adding a built-in chamber somehow that will be specifically for acclimation use and will slowly drip in water but still be separate from the main system. This will make it easier to keep the water temp stable.

If I have spare space then I use it.

If I have spare space then I use it.

That is my thoughts on it as well

Freshwater sump I use to have a light over the center area and grow out plantlets from plants etc

Did you have substrate in your sump? I have a light over mine atm, but nothing else

Did you have substrate in your sump? I have a light over mine atm, but nothing else

NO substrate so I could keep it clean easier. Plants were either tied to rock/wood, lead weights or just floated moss.

I used overflow comb to keep everything in there.

the way i think of it, the sump's main goal is the better health of your display tank right... so anything you do in there should be with that goal in mind...

So.. filtration using rock/filter foam/whatever

hospital area for sick/attacked fish

plants/algae for healthy display tank

removal of heater and other ugly items from display

in the case of marine, skimmer in there too

thats just my view on it... i'd love to incorporate growing some edible plants into the sump area, if they help with nitrate remove and full my tummy then im all good with that!

you could build some kinda hydroponics type setup using it...?

EDIT:

a quick google of this brings us to "Aquaponics"

http://community.theaquaponicsource.com ... aquaponics

so im going rant a little more now that im awake (3 coffee's down)

another way you can look at it again planted sump... things like Cichlid tanks, requiring more high ph water and they are also digging little buggers right... so making it hard to have a planted ciclid tank.

So im sure there are some nice plants out there that you can put in the sump that will help maintain nitrate levels and still thrive in that higher PH water.

on the flip-side of that all... if you really wanted to go this way you could run the sump like a planted display tank?

thusly having a fish populated main display then a beautiful planted tank below that happens to be on the same water loop and acting like your sump...

I have had a good look at aquaponic's and it looks great but me and gardening are not friends so I don't think I should try that.

I do like the idea of a display sump, I will start with a bit of java fern that I don't have a home for atm