What wavemaker you using?

smidey

So my wave maker literally went pop just now so i'm on the hunt for a new one.

What brand are you using and would you recommend it?

I have been using a SOBO one and it was rubbish, what are your experiences with them?

thanks people, sounds like the sunsun ones are reliable

I use a couple Seio M820s, if you're referring to powerheads rather than variable current devices or actual wavemakers.

been using one of these, they are wave makers aren't they?

sobo_zps1c62986f.jpg

thanks people, sounds like the sunsun ones are reliable

been using one of these, they are wave makers aren't they?

sobo_zps1c62986f.jpg

Depends, used to be wavemakers were either devices that switched powerheads/pumps off and on to create a varying current like:

p-163871-wave-maker.jpg

Or a mechanical device that alternated flow between two outlets or rotated like:

p-17025-24331-fish-supply.jpg

But seems in the last couple years "wavemaker" has been used for high volume, low pressure powerheads that create a constant current rather than actual waves. Like the one in your pic.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking to get one for a 200l freshwater tank which needs a bit of a circulation boost.

Would 3000lph be sufficient for this? I'd like to keep the unit as small as possible.

This 3000lph sunsun is $42 and has a magnetic base

There is also a 5000lph and a 6000lph for a few bucks more but I don't want a storm in my tank and the units are larger so if I could get away with the 3000 I will.

What say you?

I'm looking to get one for a 200l freshwater tank which needs a bit of a circulation boost.

Would 3000lph be sufficient for this? I'd like to keep the unit as small as possible.

This 3000lph sunsun is $42 and has a magnetic base

There is also a 5000lph and a 6000lph for a few bucks more but I don't want a storm in my tank and the units are larger so if I could get away with the 3000 I will.

What say you?

don't get any wave maker for a 200L tank, it will be far too much. I have a 2.0m long tank and a 5000lph is far too much and a 3000lph might be ok or near to too much flow.

I have a 300L tank and use the spraybar from my CF1000 canister to create flow, aimed down the length of the tank it makes quite a current.

don't get any wave maker for a 200L tank, it will be far too much. I have a 2.0m long tank and a 5000lph is far too much and a 3000lph might be ok or near to too much flow.

I have a 300L tank and use the spraybar from my CF1000 canister to create flow, aimed down the length of the tank it makes quite a current.

OK cool. I have a 3d background with the plumbing hidden behind it. I split the canister return pipe into two, one empties near the top of the background and one near the bottom. It seems to have affected the flow rate too much though, so I think I'll try blocking off the bottom return first which should get the pressure back up out of the top one and stir things up more.

Failing that, I see there are even smaller wave makers you can get, like 1000 lph, so perhaps one of those would work ok?

OK cool. I have a 3d background with the plumbing hidden behind it. I split the canister return pipe into two, one empties near the top of the background and one near the bottom. It seems to have affected the flow rate too much though, so I think I'll try blocking off the bottom return first which should get the pressure back up out of the top one and stir things up more.

Failing that, I see there are even smaller wave makers you can get, like 1000 lph, so perhaps one of those would work ok?

i think a 1000lph will be sweet, if not it's all in how you aim it.