Where do you guys buy glass from?

Thr33Swords

I am planning my next tank build, it's going to be a heavily planted 500 litre tank, 1850 long, 450 wide and 600 high.

For my 150 litre tank I used an old window I bought off trademe, but for a tank this size I'll need much thicker glass.

So, can anyone recommend a place where I can go buy glass from?

Cheers!

Greg is pretty good with his pricing and TBH I wouldn't bother making a tank of that size given what he would charge you. If you want the challenge of DIY then get in touch with him as he may be willing to supply just the glass cut to the right size.

depends on what you want, if its just a few breeding tanks, i'd just use old glass off trade me, if its a display tank, definately shell out for the good quality glass, plus get the edges done properly.

If you are going DIY then do a couple of breeders first for a practice run cutting and glueing. can get 20 windows for $1 on trade me for fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I've had a go at building tanks from cheap windows on trademe, the glass for my 150litre cost me $1 haha :P

I've been getting quotes from various glass suppliers, and from what I have gotten back so far it seems that Greg is the way to go, the price he quoted me is about a 1/3 of the price of glass!

Does anyone run into issues using "old" glass?

how old? I've got a 5' tank that I pulled apart and rebuilt a couple of years ago. It was about 12 years old then. The glass was fine to reuse but the silicone was very due for replacement.

as long as it's not chipped or cracked and is less than 50 or so years old it should be fine.