Gold Spot Dwarf Pleco

randomsam1001

Hi randomsam1001,

Gold spot dwarf plecos (Parotocinclus spilosoma) are on the approved list but I haven't personally seen them here. They are a cool looking little pleco and would be a neat alternative to their relie the pitbull plecos (P. jumbo).

Just because its on the list or not doesnt mean we can/cant get them... Would have thought such a senior member round here might have some slightly more helpful and relevant advice rather than just fobbing someone off to the list.

Ouch - that hurt, some people are not very nice!!

I gave the maximum amount of information I could based on the information given which was all I could do working off an ipad. I am not a plec expert nor do I claim to be however I supplied a link which would show the poster which plecs were allowed in the country and that is better than nothing imo.

The pitbull plec is a neat little plec, I have three of my own - 1 male and 2 females however no luck in spawning as yet.

Ouch - that hurt, some people are not very nice!!

I gave the maximum amount of information I could based on the information given which was all I could do working off an ipad. I am not a plec expert nor do I claim to be however I supplied a link which would show the poster which plecs were allowed in the country and that is better than nothing imo.

The pitbull plec is a neat little plec, I have three of my own - 1 male and 2 females however no luck in spawning as yet.

Your info was actually quite helpful. Are the Pitbull plecs hard to keep?

No, they are not hard to keep but to be honesthe substrate as a camouflage. I have found it took a while to get mine to eat algae wafers but they now seem to disappear overnight. I have them in a species only tank with plants, rocks, driftwood, trying to encourage them to breed. Compared to fancy plecs these are very plain.

To be honest, if you are after something that will be seen in your tank but you don't want a bristle nose - you can get stunning looking long fin bn these days - although you still want something relatively small that will show itself in your tank you might be better going for the big band tiger plec. These tend not to hide as much but be 'out there' more. heres a link with a pic on this site viewtopic.php?f=23&t=44040. I don't know how big they get but I believe they are one of the smaller plecs.

The only difficulty I had with mine was getting them to eat, I do realise that in that they are similar to ottocinclus (who really only eat brown algae and seaweed). The pit bulls at the LFS seem very healthy though and do eat dried foods.

They both belong to the same suckermouth catfish subfamily (Hypoptopomatinae) but they belong to different groups (tribes). So they are related but not closely. Otocinclus tend to move throughout the water column whereas pitbulls spend most of their time on the bottom. According to the experts Parotocinclus species need clear, unpolluted, oxygen rich water, and they can be tricky to keep. However, pitbull plecos seem to be an exception as they are collected in large numbers in waters polluted by human effluent, so I guess thats makes them fairly hardy. They are apparently best kept in groups.

No, they are not hard to keep but to be honesthe substrate as a camouflage. I have found it took a while to get mine to eat algae wafers but they now seem to disappear overnight. I have them in a species only tank with plants, rocks, driftwood, trying to encourage them to breed. Compared to fancy plecs these are very plain.

To be honest, if you are after something that will be seen in your tank but you don't want a bristle nose - you can get stunning looking long fin bn these days - although you still want something relatively small that will show itself in your tank you might be better going for the big band tiger plec. These tend not to hide as much but be 'out there' more. heres a link with a pic on this site viewtopic.php?f=23&t=44040. I don't know how big they get but I believe they are one of the smaller plecs.

And the big band tiger plecos eat algae well?

To be honest I don't know. Google is not helping me much either. Flatfish, Rabbit, KrazyGeoff, Jamos, Kiwiplymouth, from this forum, might be more help than me. Try sending a pm to them. There are others who have good knowledge about plecs as well but these are the ones I know better.

• 2 weeks later...