Where to get fresh water shrimps from.

ratbag01

hmm so that will explain what the other fish is that I chucked in my tank that came in the same net full as the shrimp, caught them both in the exact place, he also seems happy and is munching back the flake foodlol, and the shrimp is still good and living, hiding on my drift wood atm, does anyone know what food would attract shrimp into my net if I just left it on the bottom for a while?was thinking chicken heart but don't want eels in the net

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with sophia about just scooping them up. If you do want to go down the trap then algae tabs might be worth a try, they are detritus/biofilm/detritus erates.

Oh and it is illegal to keep gambusia, and even more illegal to return one to the water when caught.

oh true that sucks then coz I hate killing fish, after reading that theyre very aggressive to other fish I took it out a put it in my outside plant tank and will just let it there as its only for growing plants and might help with plant growth from the fish waste. cant seem to find my white cloud though, hope the gambusia didn't kill him and then the gold fish munch him down

oh true that sucks then coz I hate killing fish, after reading that theyre very aggressive to other fish I took it out a put it in my outside plant tank and will just let it there as its only for growing plants and might help with plant growth from the fish waste. cant seem to find my white cloud though, hope the gambusia didn't kill him and then the gold fish munch him down

Just kill it.

"Koi carp, gambusia and the aquatic weeds listed in this brochure are classified as Unwanted

Organisms under the Biosecurity Act 1993. People caught displaying, releasing, spreading, selling,

or breeding them without an approval under the Biosecurity Act are liable, on conviction, to a

fine not exceeding $100,000 or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 5 years, or both"

http://www.doc.govt.nz/Documents/conservation/threats-and-impacts/biosecurity/aquatic-pests-fact-sheet.pdf

If it is a female then you will have a container full of illegal fish you wont kill

Just kill it.

"Koi carp, gambusia and the aquatic weeds listed in this brochure are classified as Unwanted

Organisms under the Biosecurity Act 1993. People caught displaying, releasing, spreading, selling,

or breeding them without an approval under the Biosecurity Act are liable, on conviction, to a

fine not exceeding $100,000 or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 5 years, or both"

http://www.doc.govt.nz/Documents/conservation/threats-and-impacts/biosecurity/aquatic-pests-fact-sheet.pdf

Im just not an animal killing person sorry, my cat will probly end up eating it anyways bcoz he always tries to get the gold fish if i leave the tanks lid off for too long

This subject is calling out for a sticky, there must be a thousand threads on here about shrimp. Someone ought to make a custom Google maps map with locations tagged that they have found shrimp too.

That way Joe new person can just look at the map.

This subject is calling out for a sticky, there must be a thousand threads on here about shrimp. Someone ought to make a custom Google maps map with locations tagged that they have found shrimp too.

That way Joe new person can just look at the map.

I gotta admit that would be very handy

Sure, but that doesn't help people who want to go out and catch some who live in near x, as much as a guide that says where they have been confirmed.

Edit; It'll also help to audit their numbers and distribution - just sayin'

:gpo2:

Dr A, if you are willing to make up some maps going by what people have said already we can make it a resource/sticky.

The reason I suggest you do it is because this place is always low on people resource to do these things... so if you have a good idea, we'd like to make it so.