Changing filters advice please.....

Finznfangs

OK. so i am going to stop using my built in hood filter on the aquaone 980, noisy, poor water movement etc etc.. BUT.. i am battling with running them together for a while or putting all the noodles and rinsing the new media in the old filter goodness before i put it in the new CF1200 and just running that one.

I was hoping to just swap them over as i want to utilise the area where the power head is to put the pipe in etc.

Will this affect my water conditions in a major way???

When I had an AR850 I ran both the built in filter and a canister together and it worked really well. If you can set up your canister in a way that you can keep the origional filter going I would - that way you don't need to worry about a drop in water quality. Plus you can never have too much filtration :thup:

Eventually i am going to run x2 external canisters for more filtration :bggrn: Dont get me wrong the hood filter does a good job, but lets be honest its a pain in the BEEP in regards to access.

Also..... while you are all being so helpfull.. I have an issue with poo hanging around the rocks etc (white sand substrate), and some areas of my tank where there must be poor water movement, i am hoping the new filter will help wth this. should i point the spray bar down towards the bottom of the tank more??

Yes this is normally a good idea but with a sand substrate you might end up slowly shifting the sand into pretty little sand dunes and areas with bare bottom.

I did wonder that, trial and error i think is going to be the case here. Just went and brought the filter so will be having a productive ANZAC day. :happy1:

I'd throw all the media from the old filter into the CF1200. I can't find many pictures of it, but it looks like everything should easily fit.

Yeah there is quite a bit of room in there, if not say hello to my little friend - cordless drill!!

I have a 620T running the hood filter and an aqua one cf1000 and it works awesome, except that it took quite a bit of tweaking to get to work perfect.

My original plan was to decommission the hood filter but its so quiet and causes no problems that I've just left it in there.

Adding it didn't take more then an hour to do.

Good Luck!

I'm with Ira on this one, I would have thought you could throw the old media into the new filter.

+1

I would also squeeze out any sponges in the old filter into the cf1200 if they wont fit. might make the water a bit dirty for a day but will clear up in no time.

DISASTER!! I should have checked everything before I started. Half way through changing the filters, get all the media in the new one, go to put the lid on and notice a part of the outer casing is broken! :an!gry

Have to wait until 1pm before I can go and exchange, they better have another one in stock. :facepalm: sigh!