Urgent advice please

newbiefishcpl

I think one of our dwarf honey gourami is dying :(

He/she hasn't been very active the last couple of days. It has been laying on the bottom a lot, laying on it's side a lot...and just when I think it has died, it starts swimming around and going up to the top. It doesn't appear to be overly gasping for air and I swear he had something to eat last night. It is not as "bright" as in colour, as it's fellow gourami and it's gills aren't blood red. We have taken it out and put it in a separate container tonight, same thing, laying on it's side, then swimming around. We don't have another tank set up and just don't know what to do to try to nurse it back to health (if we can). As I type this and look over at the container, its upright and swimming around. Arghhhhhh....what do we do? Do we put him back in the tank or do we let him suffer in the small container?

Any advice my "fish" friends????

I'm not an expert around here but until someone else answers I'll do my best!

firstly how long has the tank been running and do you know if its fully cycled? any tests done on the water parameters??

I haven't kept honey gourami before but I have dwarf and pearls . They can handle some salt.

The first thing I would do is a good water change and if it is a newish tank I would add some salt just in case it's nitrite poisoning.

Nitrite posing shows up as gasping for air,, and heavy gill breathing, sluggish fish and dulling in colour. The gills darken too .

Can you increase the oxygenation? extra aeration, or lowering the water level if you have a filter outlet that can splash down.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks Bik

We have had the tank for over 6 months now.....we do regular water changes (weekly) and have plenty of airation (sp). We have rams, neon's and harlequins, 2 x BN's and two gourami's. Only one is sick :( All the others are fine.

I guess I just wanted to know whether or not I put him back into the tank, or leave him out in a stupid container which will mostly likely kill him anyway :(

I hate losing fish :(

If it was me, and I was sure he couldn't swim behind something and get stuck if dead, I'd put him back in the tank and let him live his last days in his home.

But depends on the situation and what his tank mates are. Some weak fish get attacked by the others and that's not very nice for you or the fish. :o

Dwarf gouramis seem to be very sensitive to all sorts of things and it is widely reported they are prone to all sorts of problems and diseases, dropping dead no matter what is tried :roll:

+1 unfortunately dwarf gouarmis are known to do these sorts of things at times :(

interesting..

I never had much trouble with my dwarf gourami other than getting stuck in driftwood tunnel.,.. after several rescues (so bad their skin got ripped and dorsals damaged) we decided to hollow out the driftwood. They always healed well.

I think they lived about 3 years and then I replaced with pearl gouramis which are also doing well.

my troublesome fish always seem to be guppys!

I love my Gourami's Bik..... once we had cycled our tank and added some neon's (who by the way would probably survive a nuclear bomb lol) our first purchase were two pearl gourami's...they were just gorgeous, then came the dwarf's.

All was well really until we added the sepae tetra's...they terrorised all the fish and we lost gourami after gourami &c:ry

I would love to get some mother-of-pearl gourami's one day....... so will see how we go :)

Thanks everyone for all your advice :bow:

95% of Dwarf Gouramis (especially cobalt blue) are infected with A virus (Iridovirus) that causes al sorts of infections and isn't treatable at this moment. In the UK they call it Dwarf gourami disease. All due to pressure breeding of this fish in Asia. That's the case with Trichogaster Lalius, but less / not with Colisa Chuna to my knowledge. Greetz Aad

How old was it? I've had 2 turn up their gills in the last couple of weeks. Healthy until the reach adulthood, then seem to age and the other fish deal to them.

They just don't last. LFS says they're a defective fish.

Hi Dana

Ours were only months old :( I have one left now.....he could be my last gourami. They are beautiful fish and would love to get more one day

I suspect so with mine. I'm opting not to get a companion for the one I have left. He seems happy on his own so far and they all die within 12 months anyway. Joys of overbreeding.

I'm leaving the space for my c/loaches, so I can sort out a larger tank in time.