Kauaeranga Valley Spotlighting

blueether

I arrived back at the campground, after getting dinner in Thames, at about 2130 and proceeded to get boots on and get torches ready. So it must have been about quarter to 10 by the time I reached Waiora stream next to the Wainora DoC campground.

I walked down the stream edge towards the main Kauaeranga River. In the first small hole I flicked the small torch, that I use for walking, across water – straight off a torrentfish, male redfin and common bullies. Looking good. As I continued the walk down to the main river I heard or saw a few splashes of what looked like kokopu, vanishing.

DSCN1134.JPG

DSCN1135.JPG

DSCN1136.JPG

DSCN1137.JPG

When reaching Kauaeranga river I was surprised to only see bullies, the odd eel and a single (what looked to be a) smelt, although the water level was very low, with that on-going drought. I did see a lot of hunting spiders though, Dolomedes spp.

DSCN1140.JPG

DSCN1139.JPG

DSCN1141.JPG

DSCN1145.JPG

As the main river was proving unfruitful I headed back up Waiora stream.

Waiora stream proved a very different prospect to spotlight than Kauaeranga river with many more bullies, torrentfish and Galaxias spp. The first few runs saw torrentfish, Cran’s, common and redfin bullies almost by the dozen. The first hole proved just as productive with bullies, torrentfish and banded kokopu throughout. This hole of about 2m x 10m was home to at least 4 adult banded kokopu, 100-150mm, and another maybe 5 or more one year old banded kokopu at about 50-60mm.

DSCN1146.JPG

DSCN1148.JPG

DSCN1149.JPG

The next hole housed even more adult banded kokopu, I saw maybe 7, as well as many juvenile. I may have also seen a juvenile shortjaw, but probably an inanga, but didn’t get close enough to catch and ID it.

DSCN1153.JPG

DSCN1155.JPG

DSCN1157.JPG

The stream continued in this manner with the odd eel, koura and shrimp in the mix until I caught what probably was an inanga, with very faint markings. Then I saw my first ever koaro, doing what they do best, climbing a wet rock in some rapids – almost completely out of the water, just where the water line meats the rock. Man those things have some amazing colour.

DSCN1164.JPG

DSCN1167.JPG

DSCN1168.JPG

Not much further upstream than here was where the DoC road crosses the stream. It was depressing to see that at the moment it was almost impassable to fish with a high drop and overhang.

DSCN1190.JPG

Above the ford/culvert the species distribution changed with a lack of torrentfish, way fewer bullies – I think I only saw Cran’s above the ford. I was surprised to see banded kokopu and shrimp above the ford, though not as many as below.

So all up for the night I saw:

Banded kokopu (too many to count)

Inanga (just 2)

Koaro (just 2, and maybe a third)

Eels (probably both long and short fin)

Bullies – Common, Cran’s and redfin

Torrentfish

Smelt (?)

Shrimp and koura

Trout (rainbow and maybe a small brown)

What I was surprised not to see over the 2 and a half hours were giant kokopu.

Full set of hi-res photos here

https://plus.google.com/photos/113298704761943818357/albums/5861772068505312881?banner=pwa

Stella? :gigl:

:rolfl:

(woo, people still remember me here! I haven't been around much since having to pack up the aquaria)

Absolutely fantastic post, blueether, and what an amazing stream! We should go there next time I visit :)

• 2 months later...