pumping water?

nudge

Hey guys need some help. I want to set up a water storage tank in my garage for water changes. I need a pond pump so i can pump the buffered water straight into my tank in the living room. The water will need to travel quite far at a guess 15-20m. Hose will need to go up about 6 steps as well as the garage sits lower than the main house.

What sorta pond pump am i looking at, any recommendations? been looking on TM, is a pump with a 5000lph flow rate gonna cut it or will i need something gruntier, cheers guys

Hey guys need some help. I want to set up a water storage tank in my garage for water changes. I need a pond pump so i can pump the buffered water straight into my tank in the living room. The water will need to travel quite far at a guess 15-20m. Hose will need to go up about 6 steps as well as the garage sits lower than the main house.

What sorta pond pump am i looking at, any recommendations? been looking on TM, is a pump with a 5000lph flow rate gonna cut it or will i need something gruntier, cheers guys

How fast do you want it to pump? 5000LPH pump should be more than enough. You're not going to want to fill up the tank in 10 seconds anyway.

Speed is not important really, i just assumed that the water needed to be pumped up a hill and the length it needed to travel would mean i need somthing pretty beefy. What would you recommend?

5000 will be heaps. It doesn't need to be that beefy.

probably more important than the distance is the 'head' of the pump - the maximum height the pump has the pressure/power to pump to.

for pond pumps they tend to call it depth or height

so guessing form the info you have given you could probably get away with a 2500LPH pump, as the ones on trademe look like they can pump up to 2.3m

Scuse my ignorance guys but can i just bung a standard garden hose on the end of 1 of these things stick it in the tank and pump it out? so distance isn't as important as height as far as the lph of the pump, height is gonna be what slows it down, correct.

By under size the hose do you mean diameter of hose, so the bigger the diameter the hose is, means the less work the pump has to do

Scuse my ignorance guys but can i just bung a standard garden hose on the end of 1 of these things stick it in the tank and pump it out? so distance isn't as important as height as far as the lph of the pump, height is gonna be what slows it down, correct.

By under size the hose do you mean diameter of hose, so the bigger the diameter the hose is, means the less work the pump has to do

Can't necessarily just put the hose on the end. Not necessarily anyway but a lot now do come with barbed adapters that you could probably put the hose onto. Maybe throw a hose clamp onto it to be sure. I have a 7000LPH pod pump that I use to pump my tank out through hoses to water the garden that I made an adapter with some hansen fittings with, but the latest pond pump had barbed fittings that look the right size for a standard garden hose.

probably more important than the distance is the 'head' of the pump - the maximum height the pump has the pressure/power to pump to.

Distance adds to the head height from the friction of the water moving thru the pipe, short lengths might not make much difference but 20M of pipe is going to seriously reduce the flow if the pipe isn't adequate for the volume of water the pump is trying to pump.

so distance isn't as important as height as far as the lph of the pump, height is gonna be what slows it down, correct.

As above, distance will add to it and while it may not be noticable with the average 1-2M of pipe used for a typical return for a sump, 20M will make a bit of a difference, especially if the pipe isn't big enough.

Scuse my ignorance guys but can i just bung a standard garden hose on the end of 1 of these things stick it in the tank and pump it out? By under size the hose do you mean diameter of hose, so the bigger the diameter the hose is, means the less work the pump has to do

If you're going to use garden hose you may as well have bought a smaller pump because the diameter of the pipe will reduce the flow so much that you'd probably get the same volume of water with a 1000Lph* pump instead. You're right by "undersized" I mean the diameter of the pipe used, and that a larger diameter hose means less work for the pump and more water flow. Just because the outlet of the pump is a certain size doesn't mean that is the right size pipe to use. I'd go for at least 25mm diameter with a 5000gph pump, if not bigger. If you like experimenting, try putting a couple of meters of narrow garden hose on the pump and measure how much it flows with the pipe vertical, then repeat with something like 40mm pipe. There has been a lot of good discussion on this topic on MFK, especially around plumbing size vs. GPH, I'll try dredge up some relevant threads for ya.

*guessing the actual number, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was that big a difference!

Edit, haven't found the thread on MFK but did find this; http://www.lancasterpump.com/documents/ ... adloss.pdf

5000LPH = ~22g per minute, with 1" pipe you're looking at nearly 20' head equivalent of friction loss if moving that much water thru 100' (~30M) of pipe! 1.5" pipe reduces that to about 2.5', and 2" reduces it to under a foot.

22g is roughly 80L a min with a 25mm hose, don't think i need that much flow as i'm only changing 120-150L. So if i went with a 5000lph pump, with 20m of garden hose with an ID of 11mm do you think this will still work ok, or would it be to much strain on the pump, not to worried if it takes 10mins or so to refill. Was thinking bout something like this as it comes with a few adaptors for hose thickness

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =573056005

not really buffering with chems, just gonna use the tank in the garage as a water storage, fill it with aragonite and coral/oyster shells and try and replicate water in my tank, wondering if the new water i put in when i do wc which has a different water chemistry is whats making the dubs colour all washed out all the time

22g is roughly 80L a min with a 25mm hose, don't think i need that much flow as i'm only changing 120-150L. So if i went with a 5000lph pump, with 20m of garden hose with an ID of 11mm do you think this will still work ok, or would it be to much strain on the pump, not to worried if it takes 10mins or so to refill. Was thinking bout something like this as it comes with a few adaptors for hose thickness

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =573056005

No reason it wouldn't work, but the investment into larger diameter hose will certainly speed up the process of changing water! I've found cheap pumps often over-exaggerate their flow-rates anyway. I was just thinking about that table I posted earlier and realised a flaw in my logic; there is no way that pump will be pumping anywhere near 5000LPH with that much head. In fact I'd budget on only around half that figure, maybe less, but either way I think you'd want the 25mm pipe if possible to help reduce the friction loss. You could always get the pump and bung your garden hose on the end to see how it goes, if it's too painfully slow then upgrade to a larger diameter hose.

an 18mm garden hose (rather than the standard 12mm) is probably the cheapest way to increase you pipe size. Also have a look at the bunnings submersible pumps too.

Nice one will do, cheers for the info guys much appreciated