Neglect? Quite possibly.

Barnacle

Well im guilty of it. Having my fish some 70-80 km from me, and dads house not having had rain for months now... I've not done a waterchange for about 3-4 months. Only topped up the water once in that time

In saying that, i have only had 2 threadfin rainbows dissapear in that time... I say only as i tested the water today:

PH 6

Kh 0

Gh 8

Nitrates 80-160 (pretty much off the scale)

Changed 50% and the parameters afterwards are as follows. (Note our water tanks have been filled by a truck... probably sourcing it from a bore)

PH 8.4

Kh 5

Gh 4

Nitrates 40-80

The moss has really taken hold in the tank, and id imagine i wouldn't have many fish left if there wasn't plenty of plant mass (ie moss)

No algae has been growing on the glass either in that time, haven't cleaned it once.

Before

P1130835_zps7d6f00aa.jpg

After

P1130839_zpsa344b090.jpg

I do not do water changes over the summer months as it causes a lot of problems. I suspect it has to do with the low water table, from our artesian source, concentrating the nutrients. My tank has not had a water change yet this year but it was topped up in early Feb. I have a lot of plants and a low fish load. Filter gets cleaned every 18 months - 2 years.

What usually happens is that the nitrate from excess farm fertilizers (applied at a greater rated than the grass can utilize) concentrates between the root zone and the water table, then goes in to the water table when it rises.

there aren't many farmers out there that apply more then what is needed now days.. regional councils test water ways and the likes. anyway now that we know how much is to much to put on the land its just plain silly for farmers to put on excess as it hurts their wallet.. science has come a long way to stop this. years gone past build up could contribute but not todays farmers (or at least the smart ones)... sorry :smot:

there aren't many farmers out there that apply more then what is needed now days.. regional councils test water ways and the likes. anyway now that we know how much is to much to put on the land its just plain silly for farmers to put on excess as it hurts their wallet.. science has come a long way to stop this. years gone past build up could contribute but not todays farmers (or at least the smart ones)... sorry :smot:

still happening