best off the shelf overall fert choice

camtang

I am looking for the best/ good off shelf type of fert, I dont want to achive miricales just good growth.

I am not overly impressed with the flora pride stuff I am using so I think its time for a change.

Was thinking about Seachem flourish comprehensive.

Any reviews of overall product

• 4 weeks later...
I have heard that valrays stuff is dam good

Hi Cam. Are you still looking to get some of this fert? he's got a 500ml refill bag for $14, plus $3 freight. we could go halves in a bag if you want to make it a bit cheaper? we just need to supply our own 250ml bottle.. easy done. :f77: i like this smiley.....

re reading this. its amusing how lost i get sometimes. at least my hearts in the right place. right? hmm... anyway. now i have finally worked it all out in my fuzzy little brain, my question to the gurus is:

is there any point in continuing to dose flourish excel now that i have set up co2 in the tank?

i mean. is there fertilizer stuff in there as well as being a co2 substitute?

tank is: swords, ambulia, twisted val, hairgrass, zealandia, stargrass, angel fish, khulis, gobys, with flourite/sand, yeast co2, t5s, 28c, 120l, ph7, a0 n0 n0 etc etc

Hi Cam. Are you still looking to get some of this fert? he's got a 500ml refill bag for $14, plus $3 freight. we could go halves in a bag if you want to make it a bit cheaper? we just need to supply our own 250ml bottle.. easy done. :f77: i like this smiley.....

I will be needing some new fert in a couple of weeks so I will pm you sometime soon.Good thinking :thup:

is there any point in continuing to dose flourish excel now that i have set up co2 in the tank?

i mean. is there fertilizer stuff in there as well as being a co2 substitute?

Something I have pondered before as well! again good thinking :thup:

It might help to continue dosing excel due to the erratic nature of DIY CO2 systems. Although if your CO2 was consistent, which it could be, then there is no real point dosing a carbon substitute such as Excel. In fact, most people find Excel melts their twisted Val.

I agree with what Sam says but I have also heard that dosing excel aswell as co2 brings certain benefits as it helps the plants utilize the co2 from the diy. Also 120ltr is pretty big for diy co2 so I would keep dosing it to make up for the lack of co2 from the diy.

most people find Excel melts their twisted Val.

ha! i was wondering what happened to my twisted val!

and to think i blamed it on the baby texas cichlids that were in there.

:roll:

i will stop using excel and see if val recovers. ambulia and sword have flourished since adding the diy co2, seems to be having a good effect on growth compared to when i was just using excel.

I was dosing Excel at double dose every 2nd day before to slow down the BBA, and thats when the val melted.

I have since got a SAE and reduced my use of Excel to every day at 50% dose. I also use Flourish at the same rate. Seems to be working ok. Plants are growing, very little algae (now) bugger all BBA and the twisted Val has started to grow big as well now. And I also have a very fat SAE. :thup: