Whitespot advice please

Rouseabout

We have a whitespot outbreak in our Hexy 21.6L tank -certainly looks like little spots on our tetras and the Betta has one spot also.

Have dosed with the specific whitespot treatment bought from lfs - bottle says dose 1 drop per litre then on day 3 dose 1 drop per 2 litres. What should we do if spots still there after that? Read some posts on here about dosing even after spots have gone?

Would melafix also treat this? Would melafix be more effective?

:cry1:

Advice please

I have never used melafix in my life and see no need to. What is the active ingrediant in the cure you are using? A number of drugs will fix white spot---methylene blue, malachite green, acriflavine, quinine, mepicrine, common salt etc. The spots you see are the drug resistant stage of the disease and your treatment kills the vegetative stage that emerges from the spots so you need to keep treating after the spots go away to make sure you get them.

I am assuming from the instructions on the bottle you are using wunder tonic. Whitespot or ich has a 7 day cycle so it is important that you continue the treatment until 7 days after the last spot is seen. After your second dose miss a day and then do a 25% water change and begin the treatment again.

So dose day 1 & 3, on day 5 do a 25% water change and dose, then a dose on day 7. Repeat until no spots are seen for a week and keep an eye on it for another week afterwards. It will speed the cycle up if you can turn your temperature up to 28 degrees.

Maybe a bit late now, but I bring my tank temp up to about 32 degrees (over a few days) and then bring it back down over a further few days once the symptoms have well and truly gone. No additives, no mess, no clean up :happy1: successful with 2 different sets of clown loaches and bristlenoses.

I have never used melafix in my life and see no need to. What is the active ingrediant in the cure you are using? A number of drugs will fix white spot---methylene blue, malachite green, acriflavine, quinine, mepicrine, common salt etc. The spots you see are the drug resistant stage of the disease and your treatment kills the vegetative stage that emerges from the spots so you need to keep treating after the spots go away to make sure you get them.

It has malachite green and acriflavine (wunder brand). Appreciate the advice

I am assuming from the instructions on the bottle you are using wunder tonic. Whitespot or ich has a 7 day cycle so it is important that you continue the treatment until 7 days after the last spot is seen. After your second dose miss a day and then do a 25% water change and begin the treatment again.

So dose day 1 & 3, on day 5 do a 25% water change and dose, then a dose on day 7. Repeat until no spots are seen for a week and keep an eye on it for another week afterwards. It will speed the cycle up if you can turn your temperature up to 28 degrees.

Yes it is the "Wunder" product. Excellent advice tx.n