Pumps...

newaqua

how does SUNSUN compare to others such as Via Aqua

Both average cheapo brands AFAIK. Power consumption should be an important consideration when purchasing a pump, look at more than just LPH and price, you may find a more expensive one would pay for itself in a year or two with the savings.

Both average cheapo brands AFAIK. Power consumption should be an important consideration when purchasing a pump, look at more than just LPH and price, you may find a more expensive one would pay for itself in a year or two with the savings.

Totally agree, I just purchase a new pond pump, was looking at the sunsun brand i looked at the 1400lph & 2000lph - both were 55w :o .. the pondmaster 2300lph was only 28w, but will save me $$ in the long run with power cosumption, so pays to consider that.

Via aqua pumps are normally very similar to aqua one . I've found the sun sun pumps to be good, resun brand not so flash although I've found that about pond master as well but to sum that up I found the resun king 2 was so similar to the pond master mk2 1300 I could swap the impellers out and o rings came in handy with my skimmer pump broke! I have an old ehiem that was in my parents pond when I was growing up its at least 20 years old and a little worse for wear but still runs fine.

Also have an atman pump I can't fault and a new 10,000lph boyu pump which is only 85w(where as the pondmaster 8000lph is 190w and 3 times the price

via aqua are beter in power consumption.

i use them as my cheapos, they serve very well, i have one that is 5 years old, and still going! albeit will need new impeller, but 5 years is good!

sun sun are very power hungry.

almost double the power requirement compared to via aqua,

i would go via aqua

Ok, so I bought an Eheim Compact 1000. Awesome pump and really really small. Pumps away nice and quietly, with ample flow at quite a high head height, as well as being only 23 watts! Which I am very happy about.

Thanks for everyones advice.

Be interesting to put something on it to measure it. Current draw varies depending on load and I doubt there's a standard for rating their current draw. Is it at 0 head maximum flow? 1 meter head? Maximum current draw? Somewhere in between? Ratings of different manufacturers may use different standards making comparisons pretty useless.

Be interesting to put something on it to measure it. Current draw varies depending on load and I doubt there's a standard for rating their current draw. Is it at 0 head maximum flow? 1 meter head? Maximum current draw? Somewhere in between? Ratings of different manufacturers may use different standards making comparisons pretty useless.

As its a non variable pump, my knowledge is that it sits at 23 watts the whole time, whether under load or not (I just put my tester on it, and it would agree).

It currently is putting out 670litres at a head of 1.65 meters. When its only rated to 2 meters, and just under 1000 litres, I think thats quite good.

I am fairly sure that the wattage is the same whether it is pumping its maximum flow rate or no water, as the impeller(or what ever it is called) is spinning at essentially the same rate no matter what the flow.

in terms of pumps I have a 5 year old aqua viva that is still going great in my pond with only a little drop in the flow rate, but I prefer the aqua one pump I haves the flow rate doesn't seem to have dropped by quite as much, but then I havn't had it as long.