my fav seahorse

seahorsemad

Congrats Seahorsemad.. hope you manage to rear a few.

I think that many here would be very interested in the progress of these little guys if you can find time to keep us posted :)

Did you establish how you lost the others..?

Was it conditions, temp, food, or unknown..?

Bill.

Hi Guys

The seahorses spawn in approx 50cm column of water, i know 30cm is the min, i think the only problem the seahorses have is that they get so caught up in the moment they forget where everything is in the tank and constanlty bump into things.

Pegusus i think the reason why i lost so many of the first batch is that i gave them too much water. They are really lazy and will starve themselves before they move around the tank and find BBS it has to be right in front of them. This time i will only give them a small amount of water and the same amount of food. Hopefully i will get a better result

They are really lazy and will starve themselves before they move around the tank and find BBS it has to be right in front of them.
Is there no way you could set up a drip feed system so that the shrimps are fed directly into the area where they cling to..?

A simple tub (like a tupperware container) could be set up above the tank with multiple outlets of clear air hose that are nipped off to just allow a certain amount of drip.

A bit like a Calf Feeder... but with hoses instead of teats. :)

You could then just tip the shrimp in there along with some clean salt water and the siphon would start automatically... with a constant drip of shrimps.

The normal air valves would probably not work too well... but the ones that clamp the tube would work fine.

Bill.

From going through a seahorse 'factory' one problem with raising the ponies is if they feed from the surface and get a gulp of air - they can't get rid of the air and die. This meant that the raising tanks were set up so that they didn't have much overhead light (BBS will head to the light accumulating at the surface making it much more likely that the seaponies will get a gulp of air when feeding.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

know this is an old post , but with newborn " ponies" :-? ... place fresh live rock from deep rock pools into the rearing tank every other day.. these contain many hundreds/thousands of micro foods ( copepods etc ) that help the baby seahorses to fatten up ... before you intro BBS etc.

hope this helps. :D