Mountain minnows pond Wellington

nzfishkeeper

if your LFS doesn't have them i'd be surprised.

btw Caryl, you would love the goldfish I got given today, I had to double check it to make sure it wasn't a Koi

When I went in there they only had them in warm water, I don't really want to mess around climatising them to a pond. I was hoping someone had some in a pond already so they were already used to the cold water.

I kept them both in a pond and a bathtub. I found the bathtub to be problematic as it got too cold since it was above ground level, and it froze over which resulted in losses. I installed a small fountain to prevent this from happening, but that didn't solve the problem during extreme chills. In ground ponds have a larger body of water and better insulation so are much better all-year habitats for WCMMs, and with a larger surface it is easier to prevent freezing over.

• 4 weeks later...

Let us know how you go with this one! I am wanting to do a similar thing, but might have to wait till next summer now.

If you are still looking for fish - The Pet Center in Lower Hutt normaly has some golds that look really good imo, have nice dark red fins (pec and dorsals too), rather than a bit washed out like some of the pics online

Let us know how you go with this one! I am wanting to do a similar thing, but might have to wait till next summer now.

If you are still looking for fish - The Pet Center in Lower Hutt normaly has some golds that look really good imo, have nice dark red fins (pec and dorsals too), rather than a bit washed out like some of the pics online

I ended up re-homing some goldfish into the pond, They were in a small tank so I decided to give them a big home.

I still hope to set up a pond with mountain minnows but this will have to wait for a wee while.

I also hope to get a bigger pond before getting them.

• 3 months later...
Money in his pocket. A student. :)

Hah, I had a post removed once for posting an actual business's phone number here, not even a personal one. They didn't delete the post with a photo of the business card though. :slfg: