alright, tank planning time - questions in efficiency stuff

henward

house offer accepted:D tank build... almost in progress

ok, questions

Proposed tank size:

3m x 1.2m x 80cm high

2800L

back up tank size (not ideal but hey such as life)

3m x 1m x 70cm h

2100L

questions:

1) if i fully insulate the garage, talking green stuff and ply over it on ceiling, walls.

is it worth bothering with putting poly on the glass itself on side, back?

2) once i heat the tank to say 26/27c, according to online calculators, heaing to 28 and the heat loss is much greater than heating to 26/27c... the fish i want will thrive in 26 to 27c anyways! will the heat loss and heating cost be much different for the 2 sizes proposed IF the garage is fully insulated?

3) if fully insulated, that means in summer, i cant harness the sun beating down on the garage .... is this the case? how does one harness this heat?

garage floor is concrete, cant have carpet.

My old garage got up to 40C in summer, so you probably don't want to harness that much heat...

I'd be inclined to insulate the room rather than the tank, especially if you're going to have other tanks in there, or even just for the sump. You will need to turn the air over to avoid the stink factor, I never got around to doing that with my old room, not quite sure what I'm going to do with the big tank here.

Yeah, My new tank set up, i am planning to have it quite 'sealed'

so, really, no openings as much as possible, tiny openings. feeding hole at the top.

so evaporation is almost none etc. hard to explain.

no corners taken out of lids and stuff like that.

socks chamber covered fully wtih hole on the side of tower and a manifold to distribute water from overflows.

but yes, circulating air i suppose is important, dehumidifier i guess. Fan? or occasionally opening a door i guess.

but i think i am gonna really focus on insulation for the ceiling, walls, covering upt he window.

ply over it

SO is that the case, insulating the room is better than the tank walls?

i thought so too but just wanted feedback

Based on my knowledge of insulation (houses rather than tanks) I would definitely insulate the garage. Unless you plan on putting poly on all faces of the tank, which would be very efficient but it's not quite the same staring at a large block of polystyrene

Tank maker said that 3m is a problem.

because you will get glass bowing.

http://www.theaquatools.com/building-your-aquarium

\

according to that, safety of 2.4

you can do 3m by 1m by 70cm.

any thoughts?

I am trying to find an optimal size, my main goal is to arowana comm, so width is important, length too, height is so much but it is also quite important so aros can go to bottom and escape and submit to dominant aros.

Another option is

3m x 1.2m by 60

12mm with a safety factor of 3.2

is that ok?

or will the glass still bow due to the length?

i figure, if you brace say every metre, and do quite thick bracing front and back .... should that be ok?

i was about to ask hward why he is making the whole thing out of glass.

i have seen some awesome monster tanks that are made of a timber frame, ply, tiles on bottom and sides, with a front glass display panel.

why you no do this henward?

I am consdering it,

but the glass at the front is still needing to have enough strength.

th water pressure would be the same.

unless you only have the glass wndow on the top half of the tank.

but i am considering it.

yeah, i totally agree.

no i am reassesing the size!

i am trying to find the optimal size that balances cost/size/glass mm.

Also trying to save for europe as well as about to buy a house :slfg:

I am now considering a smaller scale tank!

2.4m x 1m x 65cm high.

water height will be 60 after taking into account loss of dimensions.

1500litres.

the footprint is suited for my arowana and comm.

not as big - not quite my 'dream' tank. but the again - Not quite my dream stock.

i am somewhat accepting that maybe my dream tank is not quite here yet :tears:

May time it to come with my dream stock one day!

in a pro to this situatoin.

I means i can keep running my 600litre as well as the 1500 and it is less water and heating than the 2880litre tank i originally planned.

WIN! :bounce:

Don't skimp on safety factor!!!!!!!

As tanks get bigger the safety factor has to go up. Going below the recommended minimum of 3.8 is risky. Bigger tanks have more overall force. An small errors or movement transfers more force to specific points of the tank than in a smaller tank with the same safety factor. Therefore the risk of it going po goes up also.

The value of 3.8 is based on statistical analysis of aquarium failures in the USA and Europe (not NZ shakey-land). It's used by all commercial suppliers of large public displays as it ehsures public safety is met. I don't know the statistical value of tank failure when a tank is built with a safety factor of 3.8 but it will be a pretty small number if it's based in the US.

Think of safety factor as insurance. Why skimp a few hunder dollars on glass thickness when there's thousands of dollars of fish at risk???

Don't skimp on safety factor!!!!!!!

As tanks get bigger the safety factor has to go up. Going below the recommended minimum of 3.8 is risky. Bigger tanks have more overall force. An small errors or movement transfers more force to specific points of the tank than in a smaller tank with the same safety factor. Therefore the risk of it going po goes up also.

The value of 3.8 is based on statistical analysis of aquarium failures in the USA and Europe (not NZ shakey-land). It's used by all commercial suppliers of large public displays as it ehsures public safety is met. I don't know the statistical value of tank failure when a tank is built with a safety factor of 3.8 but it will be a pretty small number if it's based in the US.

Think of safety factor as insurance. Why skimp a few hunder dollars on glass thickness when there's thousands of dollars of fish at risk???

Agreed

so here is the problem

for 240x120x60 - safety factor of 3.8 is 13mm

we dont get 13mm glass

so 3.7 is 12mm

is that 0.1 safety factor ok?

if i do 12mm

same with 240x120x70cm 3.8 safety is 16mm,

3.7 is 15mm

say i brace the top, edges in a hefty way, that should compensate for that 0.1 in safety factor right?

additional to that.

if i move it from 60cm WATER HEIGHT, i am assuming that the water height is key.

if i move it down to 58cm water height, the safety factor then complies with the minimum safety factor.

so i can reduce my water by 1cm - this will then comply to the 3.8sf

240x120x58 is a safety factor of 4.

or 59cm high is safety factor of 3.9 at 12mm

say i brace the top, edges in a hefty way, that should compensate for that 0.1 in safety factor right?

No, you're not getting it - as per my previous post(s) - the calculator already assumes the top edge has a hefty brace - the equivalent of about 100mm x 100mm box steel or bigger!!!

So no, it will not improve or change the safety factor in any way whatsoever...

In saying that, 0.1 should be fine.

No, you're not getting it - as per my previous post(s) - the calculator already assumes the top edge has a hefty brace - the equivalent of about 100mm x 100mm box steel or bigger!!!

So no, it will not improve or change the safety factor in any way whatsoever...

In saying that, 0.1 should be fine.

ok, i think i found a way to get 3.8 to 4 sf.

cutting down a couple of cm water height i think will do the trick.

i don't pretend to know anything about this but have been reading along.. just a thought. with what you were saying about making the rest of the tank out of other stuff but the front still having to be glass... is it not at all possible to have it made out of clear Perspex? (hope i've spelt that right) surely you could get a piece made to the size you want and get them to make it say 20mm thick? i ofcourse don't know the cost of this or if it can even be done. Heh if i'm wrong i'll just shut my yap :thup:

additional to that.

if i move it from 60cm WATER HEIGHT, i am assuming that the water height is key.

if i move it down to 58cm water height, the safety factor then complies with the minimum safety factor.

so i can reduce my water by 1cm - this will then comply to the 3.8sf

240x120x58 is a safety factor of 4.

or 59cm high is safety factor of 3.9 at 12mm

or 15mm glass...............

or 15mm glass...............

15mm glass with 70cm height is the same situation as above.

reducing the water level i think is key.

weighing up the cost of an extra 700 dollars, i am leaning towards the slightly shorter tank

tank will still be 70cms high but the water height will only be 58.5 where the overflow drains.

This is so the aros dont hit the lids when they feed like they do now!

this way i can run my 600litre toow ith no extra cost...

i don't pretend to know anything about this but have been reading along.. just a thought. with what you were saying about making the rest of the tank out of other stuff but the front still having to be glass... is it not at all possible to have it made out of clear Perspex? (hope i've spelt that right) surely you could get a piece made to the size you want and get them to make it say 20mm thick? i ofcourse don't know the cost of this or if it can even be done. Heh if i'm wrong i'll just shut my yap :thup:

i is also curious. why not perspex for front viewing panel, or acrylic even?