Goldfish disease

william

So hi,

Well recently after I came back from my holiday, I found my 2 year old fish with some weird white wart like things on my goldfish's body. I think this may be columnaris or something. Could you please help me diagnose the disease and suggest methods of curing it? Thanks

(Note: I have 2 other fish in the tank and they have not caught it yet. The white stuff on the one fish however is slowly spreading i think)

c4YJXhF.jpg

Tm451aeh.jpg

SPniKqsh.jpg

Thanks,

William

I suggest it may be carp pox which is a herpes virus that koi and goldfish get. It is not curable or dangerous but is unsightly.

The raised waxy "warts" look like drops of wax and may come and go but never totally go away, they just "hide". They can appear on any part of the fish, including the fins. It is normally either milky white in color or clear and appears to be jelly-like though it is solid.

They apparently come up mostly when the water is cold and as the water heats up they will recede.

There is no treatment as it is a virus the fish will have for life. Do not attempt to scrape or cut the warts off either.

Carp pox is contagious but many goldfish have built up a resistance to it so are basically immune.

Have a look at other pics of carp pox and see if they match what is on your fish.

We had one fish with it once and they looked like huge white warts in the end but never spread to any other fish.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
seen some really happy old fish that have had the pox for years. if you love it it don't matter

:smot: Story of you life bro..... :ton:

I just read that when you recently came back from a holliday another one of your fish had something wrong. Is there a connection with the two? Fish minder over feeding or something like that?