http://www.biosuppliers.com ?

aotealotl

• 4 weeks later...

In Biosuppliers defence, i have had ONLY good dealings with them.

They are the top insect provider for NZ.

you have to understand, i dont believe this fella sells to the public much, he focuses on stores and contracts outside of public arenas.

Think zoos.

If he doesnt wanna sell to you, its cos he probably has a much more important commitment for it.

as for mealworm shortage, i believe this has changed somewhat, but once again, This company focuses on supplying stores and large outfits.

Locusts are easy to breed sure, but commercially is a different case.

Think few thousands a week as a standing order perhaps? then you can relate to the comment of special methods.

He will not disclose his techniques as they are probably commercially sensitive.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not aware that he is a member.

I have no knowledge of how he breeds his insects but I know other people that do it commercially. You could not put your glasses on and sit down with a pair of tweezers and count out a thousand mealworms. There is a place down here I know of that goes through 30000 mealworms each year between xmas and new year. DOC and some of the outfits involved in rearing some of our endangered animals go through large numbers of insects.

They use a series of seives to sort out the sizes and then sell by weight. You count out 1000 large, medium, or small mealworms and weigh them. When you order 30000 they weigh them.This is the way to stay stave off insanity. I guess that when you can produce 30000 (probably a small fraction of what they produce) you can claim to be able to breed mealies.

yes, there are some vendors who will sit and count mealworms... seriusly though, pathetic to be honest.

you can easily use a shotglass (i used to do it) and average out the amount of mealies inside and just school.

as a supplier, you will always give more than less when it comes to insects though. i did anyways.

to have 30,000 mealies a week to supply, it has to be a vast operation.

right now i am breeding for personal use and getting the hang of mass quantity breeding with artificial heating...

i am getting there.

but i was reading an article online on 'how to have 150k mealworms at any given time' type of article.

and using their method.

too many beetles, not enough mealies, too little, too space wasted.

not enough beetles - moisture gets to your bran and gets could get mites.

beetles love eating the mites.

mealworms too IF there is enough of them.

there is a balance you have to go through to breed them en masse.

locusts too, breeding thousands of locust to supply to zoos, clubs, doc etc and able to deliver weekly - all i can say is... think huge area and very efficient set ups:D