What is the best kind of bulb to use for efficient growth?

fish_tank0311

Basicly im setting up a 4 foot planted tank and want efficient plant growth over pretty coloured lights, so am wondering what the best kelvin range is for plant growth, and where i can get those from. I am in need of 4 foot t5's (54 watt)

I have heard different stories from people, some claiming "x" bulb is the best, and others claiming "y" bulb is best, and others saying it doesn't matter which one you go for.

The plants im planning on growing are just the common plants you see around pet stores etc, things like amubulia, indian fern, java ferns and a couple others, possibly some of the reddish coloured plants. Also anyone got some tips on growing the plants which are slightly red in colour? I believe they require much more light than other more common plants, do they also require a co2 system? I have bought a few before only to have them slowly die.

Is there anyone who can help me on this, possibly some experts who can point me in the right direction?

Cheers

:cr8:

Edit:

http://www.barrreport.com/archive/index.php/t-4768.html

This thread is an example of a fairly large debate on which bulbs are best. there are 10+ people saying 10+ different things in regards to which build is best, and is pretty confusing.

I use T5HO bulbs in my planted tank, these and the light fittings can be purchased from the lfs. These work well but do struggle to penetrate to the 60cm depth of my tank. Java fern, Indian fern do not have high light requirements. Red plants do if you wish them to remain red. CO2 will help boost the growth rate but fertilisers are also necessary.

I use T5HO bulbs in my planted tank, these and the light fittings can be purchased from the lfs. These work well but do struggle to penetrate to the 60cm depth of my tank. Java fern, Indian fern do not have high light requirements. Red plants do if you wish them to remain red. CO2 will help boost the growth rate but fertilisers are also necessary.

Soooooo what kind of kelvin range am i looking at here? Will the "sunlight" bulbs work for both green and red plants? I believe they are around 6500k. My tank is only 40cm deep for memory. I have room for 4 bulbs, currently in the light fixture is 1 white bulb and 2 blues, both of which im unsure of kelvin etc but they were used for a marine tank.

I have been told bulbs from bunnings, Mitre10, placemakers etc work fine for growing plants in a low tech set up

And yes, previously i used a tube light which was made for a garage or something, got it for 20 bucks off trademe and put that over the tank and it worked OK, but i only had some indian ferns in etc and they werent the prettiest. Not sure what kind of bulbs it had, but now im using a proper light fixture for fish tanks and im not 100% sure if any old tube light will work in it ie. those bought from a hardware store such as mitre10

If your doing just the basics then you can get away with T8's, cheaper initial setup cost, but more expensive long term, T5HOs are a good medium and work extremely well, yet again they have a higher long term cost (replacing bulbs, power useage etc...) LED's are a good choice if you want to spend now save later, make sure you get a good brand though as some cheapies burn out quickly making them a waste of $$$ (just ask Sheepsnana) Metal Halides are good, but expensive both in setup and longterm costs , imo they are a bit out dated now

You want to aim to get bulbs high in the red and blue spectrums to promote plant growth and in the green spectrum to make your plants look bright, I use 1-2 x Tropical bulbs (high red and blue) and 1 x sunlight (a little more green) in my lowtech tanks and get good results

The blue (not visible) will promote a flowering response and not a growth response. A visible green spectrum of light is totally useless for the plant itself as it reflects all the light back (that's why you see green).

Aim for 10000K if this is your first try with T8s; but I'd recommend powerglos instead if you can fork out the cash for them.

Like i said in the original post, i have a lighting unit which i had on my marine tank and im planning on using that, so dont really want to go into LED's or halides and i dont believe t8's will work in a unit made for t5 bulbs, i just need to replace the bulbs which were used for marine with some more fitting bulbs for freshwater tanks and particularly plants.

plants use a wide rang range of kelvin, but i generally go for 6500K

java fern and red plants have very different requirements.

plants are approx 50% carbon so faster growing red plants need a lot more carbon then slow growers.

if you wanna go low tech only use low light plants, you can still get some very cool colours, especially from crypts!