What kind of algae is this?

WillskE

plus check your phosphate levels, I had a bad outbreak of that in 2 tanks and found both tanks had phosphate readings that were slightly higher than the tanks without it.

added phosphate scrubber and a couple of mollies (and one pathetically small siamese algae eater) and its just about gone now

Yours looks more ill defined that the hair algae in my tank. I had to move my tank the other day, and after draining 3/4 of the water I used my hands to pull the stuff out. It forms a tight mat on the bottom of the tank but often comes out in large dark green threads which I then give to my gold fish to eat. It certainly doesn't break up easily as it can uproot plants as you remove it. Can you pull some out and take a picture?

Yours looks more ill defined that the hair algae in my tank. I had to move my tank the other day, and after draining 3/4 of the water I used my hands to pull the stuff out. It forms a tight mat on the bottom of the tank but often comes out in large dark green threads which I then give to my gold fish to eat. It certainly doesn't break up easily as it can uproot plants as you remove it. Can you pull some out and take a picture?

Good idea. I think its more likely that it has been allowed to take over the moss rather than removing it as the threads start to show. Reminds me of the cocoons you see in some horror movies!