sexing upside down cats

snookie

Has been achieved in aquaria but details are very scarce. As this species breeds during the rainy season and migrates to flooded areas, changes in the temperature and chemistry of the water are likely to induce spawning behaviour. We therefore suggest that a large water change with cold water may be a good place to start with inducing the fish to breed.

There are conflicting experiences of breeding, which state the eggs were laid either in a depression in the substrate or in caves formed by lengths of piping exist. Therefore, both these should also be provided to maximise chances of success.

Apparently, up to 450 eggs may be laid and the fry are free swimming after 4 days. They initially swim in the upright position before moving to the typical inverted position after 7-8 weeks. If you do manage to get this fish to spawn, we suggest that brine shrimp nauplii or microworm would be good first foods.

from http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/synodontis-nigriventris/

or

In the North American Catfish Society Vol. 1 No. 1 Jan. 1996 there appeared an article entitled ''Luck In A Bucket'' by Jay and Mary Ann Angros. The authors keep some of their fishes outdoors in the summer.

The catfish were placed in a five gallon bucket full of clay pots and PVC pipe from their regular tank. One author, Jay, took the bucket outside and promptly forgot about it for two days! When the bucket of

fish was remembered and checked, the authors found fifty eggs in one piece of PVC. The fish were then brought back inside and placed in a tank that was completely full of crockery and PVC pipes. Sometime later

this tank was broken down for cleaning and seven S. nigriventris fry were found. The spawning tank had pH 6.8 and the temperature fluctuated between 78F and 82F. The tank had about an inch of gravel

over an under gravel filter. Tankmates included skunk Botia and other Synodontis spp. The fish were fed mainly frozen brine shrimp, bloodworm, and ProGreen (a mixture of green, clams, and shrimp). Based on the account above, it would seem that any attempt at spawning the USD Catfish requires, at a minimum, the following:

A well-rounded high quality diet Drastic temperature drops to initiate spawning Soft acidic water

Suitable spawning sites

seems to be the temperature change and slightly acid water does it.

females are obviously fatter than the males (seen it before, looks like an obesity problem in the ripe girls)

feed them up on heaps of live food and then do a cold rain water dump similar to the cory breeding method.

good luck and keep us posted.

I would have thought that would be the easiest way to sex them, you can see their bits? :digH:

Mind you , you would have to be careful of the claws? :rotf:

As for in a tank, well, what sort of green crawly thing did you have in mind?? hopefully not a beautiful classic machine? :nilly:

Sorry, I could not resist the temptation to misread your question, and have a little fun with it. :sml1:

I would have thought that would be the easiest way to sex them, you can see their bits? :digH:

Mind you , you would have to be careful of the claws? :rotf:

As for in a tank, well, what sort of green crawly thing did you have in mind?? hopefully not a beautiful classic machine? :nilly:

Sorry, I could not resist the temptation to misread your question, and have a little fun with it. :sml1:

i seriously misread the title also and didnt notice it was in the catfish topic lol normally you lift the tail

females are obviously fatter than the males (seen it before, looks like an obesity problem in the ripe girls)

feed them up on heaps of live food and then do a cold rain water dump similar to the cory breeding method.

good luck and keep us posted.

I have 2 that were overweight when I got them - they've thinned up well now so could be females no longer podgy? :dunno:

• 2 months later...