it takes a real man to have a pink tank

lmsmith

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you lot being homophobic about the colour pink? Cause from a read of this thread that's what it seems, particularly with the use of 'gay' in a derogatory way.

Mmm. This is exactly what it looks like, and quite frankly, I find it disgusting.

Saying something is bad because it's girly is sexist, and saying something is gay and you wouldn't wear it is homophobic. Grow up, and grow some tolerance, people.

is that why you started this thread, so you could trap people and tell them off?

do we really live in a world where it is no longer acceptable to have a negative opinion towards something just in case you might offend someone? political correctness has gone too far. i believe people are free to have opinions on things like colours, and explain why they don't like them. if you don't like pink because girls wear it, fine, that is a logical reason not to like wearing that colour. it certainly does not mean you hate girls, or have anything against the way they dress.

i don't think anybody here has said anything hateful towards females or gays.

seems that many of us can't spot a troll when it hits ya in the face :lol:

is that why you started this thread, so you could trap people and tell them off?

do we really live in a world where it is no longer acceptable to have a negative opinion towards something just in case you might offend someone? political correctness has gone too far. i believe people are free to have opinions on things like colours, and explain why they don't like them. if you don't like pink because girls wear it, fine, that is a logical reason not to like wearing that colour. it certainly does not mean you hate girls, or have anything against the way they dress.

i don't think anybody here has said anything hateful towards females or gays.

seems that many of us can't spot a troll when it hits ya in the face :lol:

I didn't start this thread. I mentioned it in passing in another thread, and mods created this thread. I think it's important in a world when we (mostly women) are bombarded by sexism to speak out when we see it. Sometimes people don't realise they're doing it and it's helpful to point it out. None of this was about telling anyone off, it's about informing people when they have said something that is harmful.

Sexism isn't the same as misogyny, and homophobia doesn't need to be hateful.

Saying pink is a 'gay' colour and that you don't want to wear pink has the clear negative implications. That you can't see that it's harmful is actually quite worrying. It's not about political correctness - say you don't like pink because it's pink. You don't like the colour, that's cool. What's being a girl or someone's sexual orientation have to do with it at all?

No one is trying to stop you from having negative opinions about something. I don't like beans. I just don't like the way they taste, and the weird fur on the outside makes my mouth feel funny. That's a totally valid opinion to have. However, if I don't like beans because gay people eat beans, that's homophobic. See the difference?

Here are some examples of why sexism is harmful. A taxi driver picking up a professor at an airport misses his passanger because he is only looking for males. He sees a female waving, but it doesn't cross his mind that she could be motioning to him - he's holding a sign that says 'Dr Martin', and that couldn't possibly be her. That's not misogyny, that's sexist. That attitude is harmful to women because it demeans their efforts and devalues their education.

Another example is a man on the street telling a woman to 'smile, hun, you'll look prettier'. That's well intentioned but sexist because it assumes a woman's worth on the basis of her looks.

The first one of those examples happened to a friend of mine. The second has happened to me on more than one occasion (maybe I need to work on not walking around with a grumpy face on).

I understand that maybe YOU aren't my target audience, but to everyone else, please understand that sexism actually hurts women. It undervalues their worth - these are your mothers, your wives, your sisters and your daughters. I want to live in a world where no one says to me 'what's the point in getting a law degree when you're just going to get married anyway.' Don't you want your daughters to live in a world where their achievements aren't undermined because one day, they might choose to get married?

Final note - joking about sexism and homophobia has been proven in a scientific study to increase sexist and homophobic behaviour. A joke, a troll or anything of that nature isn't an excuse. Own up - you were homophobic - if you meant it, own it and we can discuss. If you didn't intend to be homophobic, you should consider apologising.

and what if it is a man telling a man to smile because he will look better.

or a gay person saying that pink is too gay for them to wear.

i take it you're assuming i am not gay...

I've never ever heard that comment from a man to a man, but if it were to happen, I would bet it would be more on the 'don't look grumpy' vein rather than 'look pretty'.

A gay person can be homophobic or display homophobic behaviour. You've never heard gay men calling others 'fags'?

It doesn't matter if you're gay or not. See above.