What the HELL is there to do in Taupo???

Li@m

So.. Me and my best mate are going to be in Gisborne for a few days and then can travel to Taupo. We can get free transport and accommodation while in Taupo and have been looking for things to do. What good walks and activities (that aren't too expensive) that would you recommend?

Also are there any places that i could find wild glossostigma diandrum.

Thanks guys

There's also a dam just north of Taupo that gets released around every lunchtime. It's cool. It's about a 10m drive north.

The geothermal walk called Craters of the Moon is wicked - you do have to pay but it's not much. It's a good, pretty flattish walk that can take a couple of hours if you're slow and look at everything along the way. In that same area is horse treking - it costs, of course, but it could be within your budget.

The Honey Hive near the Huka Falls is definitely worth stopping in at - it's free, you can learn about bees and taste test honey. Along that same area near the prawn farm is a geothermal activities centre where you can learn about volcanoes and stuff. The Huka jet is cool, but I think it's around $60-70. The prawn farm is also pretty cool, you can go fishing for your own prawns. Awesome.

If you can, drive around to Kinloch and spend the day at the beach over there. There are lots of walks in that area too.

Right opposite the turnoff where you go up to De Bretts and across to Napier is a hotel and little road. If you drive down the road and park at the bottom, then walk around the lake to the right past the rocks. Bury your feet in the sand, and it's nice hot water and sand. A perfect way to spend an evening with some fish and chips, but make sure to bring your insect repellant.

Some good ideas there already...

Mt Tauhara is a pretty nice half day trip as well... doesn't cost a cent and the view from up there is awesome!

There is heaps of stuff to do in and around Taupo.... guess it depends on what you are into :)

My dad lives down there so I have spent a lot of time in the area.

Oh, and there is the Trout Centre just past Turangi.... got an awesome native aquarium set up... kinda surprised that Stella didn't mention that? :slfg: