Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Boxer shrimps

Featured Replies

I have just got my first shrimp. Boxer shrimp

He is still hidding will he eventually cruise the tank, or do they always hide.

Also apart from calcium what other specific needs do they have, as the staff at the store seem to know as much as me or less.

Cheers ru

Aparantly they need iodine and magnesium to molt. I make no effort to keep or feed mine other than the usual (good quality water) and all is well.

Mine are always hiding unless I feed frozen or thelights are off. They are the kings of the tank when the lights are down. Mine have spawned at least 4 times that I am aware of.

Great shrimp, good luck with them.

Pie

I have had a boxer shrimp for about 2months, he likes to eat small bits of shrimp. He comes out when the lights are on to grab a feed.

Mine has malted once already, as far as specific requirments I do nothing except regualr water changes.

Very cool, don't add any cleaner shrimps as they get eaten by the boxer.

Very cool, don't add any cleaner shrimps as they get eaten by the boxer.

I have had 2 cleaner shrimp and 2 blood red shrimp with my boxer shrimp for over 12 months, no problems.

Pies

I have had 2 cleaner shrimp and 2 blood red shrimp with my boxer shrimp for over 12 months, no problems.

Pies

iff your worried just swap the boxer for another cleaner

cleaners are lots of fun and not shy at all

as pies said hes had all three, your tanks not as big and so they would run across each other more often = more chance for lunch

  • Author

My tank is a 4 foot 200 litre tank, would one cleaner and one boxer be ok in that? With lots of hidding places.

My boxer has made her home (green-blue markings on the belly) in the far right hand corner behind one of my pillers.

If you look at the side of the tank it comes to the side to defend its spot.

as pies said hes had all three

Has.

My tank is a little larger than 200 litres.

FYI - The green/blue markings on the belly mean its a female, its the place where they store the babies before releasing them. It can swell to over 2-3 times the size of their body.

Don't over crowd them.

Good luck

Pies

  • Author

If I was to get a cleaner shrimp, how long does it take them to shed their shells as i think this is most likely when it would become, lunch dinner or breakfast.

i depends on how happy they are and how recently they have molted

mine moted every three weeks or so, and it is when they are most vunerable, they usually hide for a little after

Sounds like you realy want one.I have discovered over the years that the rules dont always apply(sh#t) when it comes to what wont eat your coral or other fish etc.Just go and buy one. It is the only way you will find out for sure and i am almost 100% sure they will be fine mine were.

My boxer malted with after 1 month in tank and was walking around in the morning,

Was amazed at the left overs, looked like another boxer was sitting there.

I made a cave viewable from the tank and that is were he sits durring the day.

  • Author

I returned the boxer shrimp to Pet world in Hamilton

Murray there was really good and I brought a cleaner shrimp instead.

(i might add that I watched the boxer have a crack at a baby blue chomis after lights out)

My aim is hassle free "reef safe" tank with nothing that will eat each other or sting me "much"

Next time more research will go into my purchases

My experance with Boxer Shrimp is quite different. I would suggest that given more room the animals will behaive less aggressivly. The environment may just be inaproproiate for them.

Pies

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.