Anyone kept Halfbeaks???

F15hguy

just wondering if there are any special consideration I need to know about for keeping halfbeaks (Nomorhamphus ebrardtii)

got the diet, water params and am still getting varied ideas on temps (some say don't let it drop below 24 degrees, some say don't let it rise above 25 degrees)

also might be having a shot at breeding, any tips for me???

I haven't kept them but I was really interested for a while and did a bunch of research.

They usually only have a few batches of viable fry before the start not developing properly.

They're livebearers so bigger fry, but Ithink a 3mm net wouldn't be enough - I think they'd probably be able to suck the fry through. What about one of those plastic breeding boxes, put mum in the breeding box in fry tank when she's ready to drop, then put her back in the main tank>

did mine with lots of floating java moss and indian fern in tank

tied moss to a piece of polystyrene

like a guppy you can tell when they are ready to drop

ran 1 male to 3 females in tank

she swims into weed to release fry

they were aggressive with each other as well as fry

ran guppy fry with them to distract female

lid tank as they can be jumpers

ps: ones i had were celebes halfbeak

Unfortunately hollywoods usually ends up being better than the local, i have e-mailed them about it.

Good luck on trying to get some, this greedy guy i know brought the whole lots from both store..

they are pretty long looking fish, bigger and better than guppies, im planning to get some as feeder fish yum yum form my fish tummy..

• 1 month later...